Home Selling in Temple>Question Details

Dee, Real Estate Pro in ,

Is there a way to get my FSBO home listed on the MLS without signing with a realtor?

Asked by Dee, , Thu Apr 28, 2011

John Sacktig’s answer
Hi Dee,

Sure you can, you can list with a flat fee companies that will charge you anywhere from $200 - $800 ( from what I have heard, the prices vary) to list your home on the MLS for you. I think that is the common price range for these type services. Some places sometimes offer menu type services.. Like, list on the MLS for and for another $ amount, they put it on Trulia and a few other sites. (no signs or anything) You handle all the traffic, showings and phone calls. Go for it!

Let us know how it works out for you!

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
Office: 732-863-6969
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 29, 2011
Do a search for discount brokers. Many will list your property in MLS for a small fee.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 28, 2011
The answers given so far are correct in that in order to get listed on the MLS you have to deal with a Realtor in some fashion. Like Shaukatali said there are agencies out there that do a flat fee listing, but you the Homeowner are responsible for marketing, showings, contract etc. The advice given is true that listing with a Realtor not only gives you the maximum exposure, but in many cases brings the most and highest offers. Good Luck and I hope you find this information useful. If you need help finding a local Realtor in your area, I'd be glad to help you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 28, 2011
Hello Dee,
Yes, in order for your home to be listed on the MLS it must be done through a real estate firm that you have a signed listing agreement with.
Commissions are negotiable as there are no set standards. Brian is incorrect and violating the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice by NAR by stating a percentage. There are some discount brokerage and flat fee firms available to post your listing on the MLS for a lesser fee than what a full service real estate firm would request.
Hope this helps.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 28, 2011
The answer is both yes and no and no, I am not a politician. More about that answer later.

However, there is a way, if you live in South Eastern PA or Delaware (where I do business) that you can get the best of both worlds so to speak. I am a full time realtor with Keller Williams in Media, PA. My offer to FSBO sellers is this: If you list with me, you get the benefit of all my marketiing. You also have the option of continuing to try and sell the house yourself. If you succeed in finding a buyer whose offer you want to accept, all you need to do is cancel your listing contract with me, you are free to pursue that offer and you do not owe me anything.

To answer your question directly, there are companies who will put your house on the MLS. To find them, just go to Google or Yahoo and look for sell your house yourself or something like that. Housepad.com is one site. For a flat fee of $350-$500 (I think) they will get you on your local MLS. But, that is all they do. You need to prepare your own materials, set your own appointments, etc.

Biggest drawback to that approach, in my experience, is that once you get an offer, you need to do all the negotiating yourself. You will probably be up against an experienced realtor who has access to a lot more information than you do. In my opinion, that is one of the biggest reasons(tought not the only one) that houses sold directly by owners sell for a median price that is a little more than 15% below what a realtor assisted sale goes for.

Another fact consider is that FSBO sales continue to trend down. The most recent year, if my recollection is correct, is that 9% of the sales were done dircet by owners. That is down from a high of 15+% some years ago.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.JohnHerreid.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 28, 2011
Darn Realtors! Seems like they have a really nice MLS system that not only markets my property but also gets me the most $ for my home.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 28, 2011
The correct answer is NO, you have to deal with a Realtor because the MLS systems are run by local Realtor Associations. There are options you can get to list your house, such as flat fee listings, but you have to sign papers with a Realtor to do it too. You also have to agree to pay a Realtor a commission if he or she sells your house, if you don't offer a commission there is no point in listing it on the MLS and it would be a rule violation for the Realtor to even do that.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 28, 2011
Yes, there are some agents that can do what is called flat fee listings.
Its a one time shot and they place it on MLS ...no other service will be provided.
Cost run about $300-350
Need more information call me 832-228-7978
Web Reference: http://kadi.garygreene.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 28, 2011
As with anything in life, you get what you pay for :)
Call me @254-217-3869 and we can help you with that
You can find a discount broker who will list your home for a flat fee. You will still want to pay the required commission to the buyer's agent but if you are willing to do your own marketing and handle other aspects of the transaction it can be done.

You will also want a Realtor to help you with the contracts as only licensed Realtors can use those contracts for the sale of a home. That basic service will be included in any flat fee. You can include your own pictures or have the agent take them... again, everything is negotiable. Just make sure you know and understand the market. If you do not you will end up costing yourself a lot more than listing side of the commission. There is a lot that goes into selling your home for top dollar. I won't go into all that but just make sure you understand the process.

Good luck to you,

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 m 512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com | http://www.AustinListed.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com
Brian, stating what you believe to be standard is not only in violation of NAR rules but in direct violation of anti-trust regulation.

Dee, here's an excellent blog from a non-agent who has a great deal of information regarding fsbos. He's added a lot to it over the years so its quite.....lengthy but well worth the time:
Very good answers below.

But look: If you don't want to deal with Realtors, don't put your home on the MLS. While your MLS probably feeds into sites, such as Trulia, where individuals can access the information, it's likely that most of the views and interest will come from Realtors. So even if you don't "sign with a Realtor," odds are pretty good that you'll end up dealing with a Realtor (representing a buyer) anyway. And then you'll be at a disadvantage, since the buyer will have representation and you won't.

If you want to sell FSBO, that's fine. But if you don't even want to have contact with a Realtor, forget the MLS.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA