Bruce, Home Seller in Lawrenceville, NJ

Is there a way of warning people NOT to use a certain realtor or realtor office?

Asked by Bruce, Lawrenceville, NJ Tue Nov 15, 2011

I had a terrible experience with a realtor and I want to make sure other people do not suffer like I have.

Answers

15
Up this way we do use attorneys and it is the attorney for the buyer that arranges the title search. If you are midstream in a transaction that is in process and you can't reach your agent, I would suggest you reach out to her/his manager/broker to ask for support.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 23, 2011
"But we have agreed to handle this" Sounds like the answer.

Either way.. Do you have an attorney? Whom is handling the closing of title?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 22, 2011
Bruce,

From reading your other posts, it seems like you are unhappy that you were instructed on what was necessary to complete your transaction. Your Realtor was not responsible for any of what you wanted.

The house is sold yes? Then she did her job.

I suggest that you review what actually happened in the sale of your home and how your Realtor performed her position.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 22, 2011
Understand that there are three kinds of complaints:
ONE; you had personality/communication problems with them. They were short, nasty, impatient, foul-mouthed, didn't listen, late for meetings; that sort of thing. You didn't LIKE them!
This would not be a good reason to end their career.

TWO: They were lousy Agents; they gave you bad advice, they didn't warn you about something, they steered you to the wrong houses, they were abusive. They shouldn't be Agents.
Natural Selection will take care of them.

THREE: They were unethical or illegal in their actions: Tried to push their own Listings on you, wanted money under-the-table, did not disclose critical things. This would be a whole different story, and should be reported to the Broker at least, or to the Department of Real Estate at worst.

The point is; just because you had a bad experience with someone, does not mean that they deserve to be pilloried or excommunicated. You have to decide to move on sometime; your decision.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 16, 2011
There is no universal public source for complaints about poor service from Realtors. Angie's List, and Yelp are just beginning covering Real Estate, so that would be a good start.

And make sure to tell your friends and family that this is a person to avoid. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 15, 2011
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
You can contact their broker to complain, or the State Board Licensing the Agent, there are many websites that you can make reviews on.
No, the house hasn't sold yet. She's disappeared on us for over a week without a word as we are at our wits end trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe in north jersey they use lawyers and find their own title companies, but we have agreed to handle this
Hi there, sorry to hear you had a negative experience - I agree with Jerry - word of mouth is key. It makes - or breaks - our business.

Good luck with your closing!
Jeanne Feenick
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 20, 2011
Thank you for all the responses. Once I get through closing I will definitely look into warning others.
Yep, its called Word of Mouth, and its worth its weight in gold.
Web Reference: http://www.sjrates.com
Private,
when your complaint involves a broker it isnt as easy to address. You cant just contact their boss and relate what happened expecting changes. If however a broker is acting unethical I suggest you make this known to the Real Estate Commission if all else has failed. document what was said and done as best you can. Unfortunately a few bad agents/brokers make us all look pretty bad. (the good ones dont seem to make news)
Social media is a good start (facebook, twitter) and also using google alerts
Just because one had a terrible experience with one agent, it does not necessarily mean the entire office is bad; if you haven't already, do discuss your concerns about the agent with his/her broker owner and or office manager. Depending on the situation, and what transpired, one could report the agent to the local Board of Realty.
they say a person who is unhappy will tell a hundred people about it though the happy ones tell few. I suggest you not blame an entire office or brand for poor performance. Rather let the broker know your displeasure and reasons. Perhaps the offending agent will learn from the experience as you have. These are tough times and often it's a matter of expectations. good luck. To answer your question though, you may be best to bite your tongue rather than risk saying or printing someting that could come back to hurt yourself.
you may be able to do it on this website. I think Angies list might work too.

You have my sympathies that you have had an experience that has brought you to the feelings you have right now. Too bad you didn't fire them as soon as you felt like your needs were not being met.
Just make sure that the deficiency was in fact caused by your Realtor, and not the Realtor on the other side, or the attorneys.