Home Selling in Austin>Question Details

Plantmom58, Home Seller in Austin, TX

Is there a law in Texas that states if you sell your house, you HAVE to leave a stove in it for the buyer?

Asked by Plantmom58, Austin, TX Mon Apr 30, 2012

Answers

12
It is an FHA REQUIREMENT.

KITCHEN APPLIANCES (functional)
• Range/oven is required (only IF a built-in unit)
• (Free standing/Slide-in units NOT Required)
• Dishwasher is required (only IF a built-in unit)

Hope this clarifies your question.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 30, 2012
thank you very much!
plantmom
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012
that's not to sell it though. that's for purchase.
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012
Many agents have given good answers. I want to point out and make sure you are aware that if you are selling a home, the stove is included in the pre-printed, boiler plate language of the Texas Real Estate Commission One to Four Family Earnest Money Contract. So, if it's not there or if you want to take it with you, you will need to name the kitchen stove as an exclusion--that you are not going to leave it with the home.
No, as a matter of fact many of the foreclosure homes have been stripped of all of their appliances. Please call Melissa Linton with Keller Williams Lake Travis (512) 276-8805. I would love to help you. I offer free buyer representation and I also list homes for sale.
No that is not true. Many of the foreclosures have been stripped of all of their appliances. I would love to help you sell. Call Melissa Linton Keller Williams Lake Travis for more help. (512) 276-8805
If it's gas, it must pass. If it's electric, don't make it hectic. Pretty sure that was on the test.
no such law, however, the contract says, all buitl in appliances to convey, so either take it out, or exclude it on 1.The Seller's Disclosure
2. The sales contract.
thank you, it is not a built-in stove
it is a very expensive professional/gourmet stove that we didn't want to leave in the house. plantmom
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012
all good answers here Plantmom58. I would just add that if you are about to list, or haven't gotten an offer on the property and you prefer to keep your stove the simplist way is to go out and purchase another stove that's compatable with the finish out of your house, but of course, not top of the line and replace it now.

You don't want the stove to become the ultimated bargaining chip. In the past I've found that the excluded items can be the hold up in negotations...

Good luck with your situation!

Chris

http://www.ChrisTesch.com
thank you, plantmom
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012
It's not the law, it is your contract.
So it will depend on your contract.
You can exclude it if you want.
I've seen people exclude antiques like "Chambers"
thank you, plantmom
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
If it is a "built-in" appliance, it typically stays in Texas. I know it's different from state to state. Many of the states automatically include the refrigerator and washer/dryer in their conveying appliances. Just make sure that you/your broker lists what conveys or does not convey clearly on the MLS and the Seller's Disclosure. You want to avoid any last-minute "deal breakers" because of a misunderstanding or miscommunication.
thank you for the information! Plantmom
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012
Good afternoon Plantmom. Simple answer is “No, there is no law in Texas that you have to leave your stove.”
Complicated answer, the promulgated form from the state of Texas, considers a stove to be part of the realty that you are selling. So in order for a seller to take a stove with them, (if using a TAR or TREC sales contract), they would need to mark the stove as an item to be excluded from the sale in the appropriate place on the contract.
I hope this helps
David Matthys
RE/MAX 1
thank you !! Plantmom
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012
It's not a law but leaving a stove is common.
No, there is no law of that sort that I'm aware of. No.
thank you, plantmom
Flag Mon Apr 30, 2012