bigman2, Home Seller in 10312

Is there a code of conduct that requires realtors to meet buyers at the home for sale?

Asked by bigman2, 10312 Wed Sep 4, 2013

Have had two rude individuals inquire without notice claiming their agents gave them the listing. Is this the usual practice in S.I. It poses a security concern that may get someone injured.

Answers

10
This is not a common practice in any area that I'm aware of. I would not be so much concerned about a "code of conduct" related to agents, but more concerned about folks opening their doors to strangers possibly resulting in injury to the homeowners. Good luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 5, 2013
Never allow anyone in your home if they have not scheduled an appointment with your listing agent. You have every right to be concerned with security and with what you posted the red flags are definitely there.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 5, 2013
No one should be allowed a showing unless an appointment has been scheduled and potential buyers are accompanied by a licensed agent; therefore if you are listed with a broker consider a discussion with your agent....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 5, 2013
HI Bigman

This not usual practice anywhere that I know of in staten island agents call a central number to schedule appts for there showings for there buyers, now I have heard some incidents but I would not let anybody into your home without an agent and if a buyer shows up without the agent then I would get there agent name and broker where they work and follow up with your listing agent to se what course of action you have. Also be advise there have been bold buyers that have gone to homes on there own and just say that there agent send them there either way try to get an agent name and don't on any circumstances let them into your home

Thanks Felix
There is no "code of conduct" requiring Realtors® to meet buyers at the home for sale, and rude people may also be liars.

You should pay attention to this type of "Red Flag" because this shouldn't happen. Sellers should NEVER allow anyone in their home without notice from their agent and being accompanied by an agent.

There is so much scamming going on out there that people need to resort to common sense and good judgment. If it doesn't feel right, question it and decline.......

Good post,

Bigman2,

I understand your concern. First Rule: If an appointment has not been made through pre-established information, DO NOT LET ANYONE IN. It may not be the Realtor at blame, but the potential buyers.

NO ONE should be permitted into your home EVER without a Realtor present.
Gary is RIGHT!
NO BODY should show up at your door without an appointment.
PERIOD.
Hand them your agents card, and tell them to go way or you will be calling 911.
This is serious.
-
Those claiming their agent 'sent' them, should provide you the name and/or card of their agent. Failure to do so is a indication their is no agent. Call 911
-
Don't want to call 911? OK, take their picture. They'll evaporate.
-
If you do get the name and/or card, contact your agent IMMEDIATELY! Bring to bear all resources possible to ensure this agent gets the message regarding 'sending' people to an address. It is very likely the 'agent' in question is either not licensed or not a REALTOR and does not have access to the MLS. Your agents broker may be needed in this case.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us

Serious people call
Really serious people use reliable data sources
No, it isn't. I hope you got the name of their agent. No one should ever come to your home without you first being notified by the listing agent or Showing Time (schedules showings after request by agent). If it happens again, get the name of the agent who allegedly sent them and file a complaint with the agent's firm.
No this is NOT the usual practice. Agents are supposed to accompany their buyers.Its possible those buyers showed up on their own without the agents knowledge.