Linda, Home Seller in 32205

Is the 4th of july weekend a good time to have a open house?

Asked by Linda, 32205 Wed Jul 2, 2008

Answers

11
Put yourself in the shoes of the buyer: would you be out shopping for a house on that day? If you can justify it, do it. You are either going to get one extreme or the other: the serious buyer, the nosey neighbor, or the person with nothing better to do. In either case, you will probably have the extreme of one of these categories.

If you are going to do it, advertise a two hour window, and then go enjoy your day.

Tom Mastrangelo, Realtor
Citrus County
EXIT Realty Leaders
Beverly Hills, FL
(352) 400-2441
http://tommastrangelo.blogspot.com
http://tommastrangelo.com
~serving all of Citrus County and Dunnellon~
Linda

It sounds as though you may be a FSBO.

Holding an Open House event on Satruday or Sunday afternoon, can't hurt. Signage is important. Be sure to have directional signage at every corner. The more signs the better. A survey of all my Open House attendees indicates that 100% of them came because of the signs. (Regardless of how many ads or how much I spend on media advertising) Be sure to have take one flyers with information, price and photos of your home in an outside take one container.

The days of Open Houses in Jacksonville generating huge numbers of lookers ended a couple years ago. Three to six different individuals or groups is a very successful open house in today's market

Remember to be safe and let a close neighbor or someone know what you are doing and when. Be cautious.

Holiday weekends have never produced a strong turn out for any of my open houses. If you're going to be home anyway, it won't hurt to put your signs out for a couple of hours. Anything that may generate traffic to your listing can't hurt. I put my signs out early, even the day before, and have a sign in the yard of the home with the day and time for the event.

The time of the event may not be convenient for all. Your signage and flyer will succeed in getting informaiton about your listing to the public. Your objective is getting your home noticed by more sets of eyes.

If your zip code is correct, you wont' have the benefit of a high traffic area such as the beach or a river park to attract buyers. Plan on normal weekend traffic.

I do a good many open houses. Our more successful Open Houses are in the late afternoon between the hours of 2PM to 5PM. This gives looker's the chance to stop in at one more home after most of the other Open Houses have ended at 3PM or 4PM.

I hope this information is helpful. If you decide to do an open house this weekend and it is not successful, don;t give up. Try another the next weekend that is convenient for you.

Best of luck to you.
Web Reference: http://www.cathysloan.com
It depends entirely on your area. Because we are in a vacation area, any day that brings out visitors offers an opportunity. In most areas, however, the 4th of July is not a good day to have a buyer out- I worked for builders that required being open, and the day would begin with few visitors, but end with a few that had, well, started the celebration early (they were fun, but a bit tipsy). :)
Web Reference: http://OPTIONSREALTY.COM
I'm holding a house open this Sunday. I don't expect a huge turnout but the people who come through will probably be serious about buying; why would they be looking on a holiday weekend if they're not?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 2, 2008
I am probably the greatest proponent of Open Houses in the U.S.
My name should be in the Guiness Book for Open Houses!
But, I have failed every time I have tried to hold one on a HOLIDAY.
The reasoning just does not translate to traffic.
As an investor, I never have my agent use an open house. 94% of buyers look online first anyway, so if your property is listed on the MLS with lots of pictures, video, and information, why would you need to have an open house? If marketed properly, you could capture the interested parties without needing a sign in sheet. Make sure your property is mobile ready, as smartphones are being used to view properties and if your site takes too long, they won't stay on your site.

Jack
maybe you misunderstood I not talking about doing the open house on july 4th but on the weekend or would it be better to just wait till another weekend
Depends on where it is. If it 's a high traffic area, I would say yes definitely. A lot of my co-workers are having them at the beach this weekend, because a lot of people will be there to see the fireworks. I would have a sign in sheet and keep track of the people that come through so you will be able to follow up with them later.
Linda
Any weekend is a good time. Serve hotdogs, have a BBQ in the front yard, make it fun. Serious buyers are shopping. KNow that open houses are NOT going to sell your property. They will HELP, but a comprehensive marketing plan covers many bases. If your home has been on the market for more than a month with fewer than 20 showings you need to sit down with your Realtor and figure out a plan to get your home sold.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
It's more than likely going to be slow...but then again who knows.
FYI... an Open House does not sell the Home a train Professional does, with marketing, Advertising, Bloggin, emails, phone calls, follow ups. If you need assistance with any one of the mentioned give us a call.
It is not worth your time sprucing up the joint, and it's not worth the Realtor's time-unless they need to catch up on some sleep! Now...the good news is this...IF someone actually wanders on in, they are likely to be serious shoppers as most people will have far more fun plans this weekend. I'd consider saving your efforts for a weekend where you're likely to get more traffic. Hope that helps! Have a good holiday.