Charles Mcgo…, Home Seller in 02540

Is the month of the year important for a sale in an upper to high range of asking price, $800,000-1,000,000 ?

Asked by Charles Mcgowan, 02540 Fri Nov 14, 2008

Answers

10
Yes, it is very important!
Charles the month of the year is very important especially on the Cape for all homes being sold on the Cape because of inventory of available homes and demand of the number of buyers. Let me know if I can help you find a property to your liking
Hello Charles,
Serious buyers are looking at property year round but mostly on the internet for the first few months prior to actually going out to the house. So now that we are almost at the end of March into April I certainly would not wait any longer to list your house.Since Cape Cod is mostly a vacation home or retirement market we are seeing more buyers now and I hope the market this year will be good one for all.
Best of luck
Wait until the spring for both US economic reasons and also because of the weather (one of the hottest seasonal markets). I think the future state of this economy will be much clearer come late March, early April ... That is of course if you can wait that long. If not, you should be prepared to price your home aggressively and be patient.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 16, 2008
While I would agree with the comments that other realtors have sent in, I would like to add that your home won't sell if it is not on the market. If there was someone out there before the end of 2008 looking for a house such as yours, you woulld miss that chance. Sometimes it is very inconvenient for you to be showing your property over Xmas but you should remember that it is the one time of the year when a decorated home is more warming to the buyers when they see it. Lots of pros and cons here but the bottom line is that if it not up for sale --- it won't sell at all.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 15, 2008
Charles,
Cape Cod is thhe type of market where homes are purchased year round on a fairly consistent basis. I would however, hesitiate from listing your home from now until the new year. As family obligations for Thanksgiving and New Years approach many buyers pull back just because of time constraints. A well priced home in that price range will always attract the eyes of the Realtors. Remember, 8 out of 10 times you are first marketing to the Realtors that will in turn bring their Buyer clients, so pricing is key. January 1st will have a glut of new homes hitting the market, so you may want to wait for a few weeks after that so that your property doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Also, for a property in that price range make sure you are working with and agent that is producing (at least one transaction per month minimum) and more importantly an office that is tech savvy. Most of your potential buyers will be from outside the state and relying heavily on internet based assistance to narrow down their search.
Charles,

OHHHH, the beautiful Cape.................

Knowing the market and area is important and we understand the strength of the Cape Cod real estate market. The people that buy there typically can afford being there. Additionally, the tremendous volume of visitors annually is a reminder of the appeal of this location to buyers. Virtually every vacationer walks out of Cumberland Farms with a real estate freebie magazine and spends hours pouring through it.

For whatever reason, many buyers look to make their CC real estate purchases in January through March. Probably so they can use or rent the home during the upcoming season. So if you are considering taking it off the market during the winter......our recommendation is to revisit this because it's the opportune time to find a buyer in your market.

There is a lot of looking during the summer but a lot of buying during the winter.

We hope you find this information helpful,

The Eckler Team
Cape visitors for over 50 years
Just a footnote Charles. Having said all that, there are plenty of people with money and if your home is priced , staged and marketed correctly it will sell.

Rob
Good morning Charles:

Vicky had a very good answer for you. Another problem in the higher end is the interest rates for jumbo loans are still in flux, with rates much higher than conventional loans. This may improve with legislation after the first of the year.

A general rule of thumb to pick a month to market your home would be the month there is the least amount of competition. There may be things specific to your home that would also dictate the best month. If what can be seen when the leaves come off the trees is a negative, for example, that would impact your decesion.

A great agent in your area is Joyce Manning.

Rob
Charles - the answer you're looking for needs to come from a local agent. But, I want you to know that the upper end of EVERY market is in flux right now. I just finished writing a post analyzing market conditions in my area. If you're home is priced under $500K, there is less than a 6 month supply of homes. If you're home is over $1m, it's over a 35 month supply. THAT is a mega difference.

People who used to buy in the upper end of the market felt wealthy. They had retirement funds, good salaries, low taxes and investments. Now, their retirement funds are cut in half, their salaries may be adjusted or they could lose jobs soon because of changing economics, their fear taxes will increase (if salaries are $250K+) and the equity in their real estate and stock market investments have slipped. Unless you'll take an IOU, things aren't looking good for the the buyers of those upper end homes...

I don't know if the season matters as much as the economy.

Sorry. I just want you to hear it from me rather than an agent in your house that you might shoot when they say it.