Larry, Home Buyer in Tucson, AZ

Is my realtor doing a good job selling my house ?

Asked by Larry, Tucson, AZ Mon Nov 2, 2009

This is my first experience with a realtor being on the selling end. All what my realtor has done so far, is list my property on the MLS and put his sign in front of the house. Is this all that he is supposed to do ? Please note that I'm not criticizing him, I'm just inquiring if this is the standard practice when it comes to selling a property. I would like to add that I actually have brought more buyers to the property by posting on Craigslist than my agent did using all of his tools. I guess I want to be sure that I'm getting the service that I'm paying for.

Thank you for your time and help.

Answers

15
Jonathan Bailey’s answer
Larry, is this s full service brokerage? You should see office tours, open house events, and direct mailings to the neighborhood. If not, I would hire another agent to 'get er done'! Is your home staged well and priced at market value? In this market, there is no reason your home should sit unsold. Good luck!
Larry
You hire a Realtor to do a job--sell your house.
When you hired them, to what did you agree?
Did they analyze your situation, property, and market, and then present a marketing plan that you believe would accomplish what needs to be done (sell in your timeframe, net you the amount you need to net, etc.)?

The biggest problems I read about on Trulia are when the expectations of the parties are not clear from the start. Once the property does not sell in the first few weeks, then the sellers begin to wonder "what's going on?".

Here is a very brief snapshot of the selling process:
1. The Listing Agent's job is to: help the owner prepare the house for market (decluttering, staging, etc.), determine the features of the property that buyers will perceive offer the most value, then help the owner price the house to attract maximum buyer exposure.
2. If the above is done competently, the maximum exposure is the first two or three weeks on the market. WE expect 10-12 showings or one offer in the first two weeks, otherwise a price adjustment is in order. We know that the longer a property sits on the market, the greater the gap between the asking price and the sale price.
3. Key to helping the seller make the right choices is feedback. Feedback comes in two forms - agent feedback from showings, and market feedback in terms of how the homes with which you are competing are responding.

For example, the average buyer look at 10-20 homes before they buy. Most Realtors will show the seller those homes, and in my case I take the sellers to look at the homes with which they will compete. If one of these homes sells before our home, then we know that the buyers liked that home more. So as the listing is on the market, giving the seller updates on what homes are getting accepted offers, which ones are lowering their prices, which homes actually go into pending status, and which ones are taken off the market. all help the seller understand how buyers see the value of their home.

We know that 90% of the time the buyer that purchases your home will be represented by a REaltor other than the listing agent. So if there are no showings by agents, then they are not all on vacation. They are showing other homes that their buyers think offer the most value. Overpriced properties will only be shown to demonstrate to buyers why another home is a good deal.

So ask your Realtor for a market update. At the end of the update ask them how they intend to get your home sold. If you are not getting showing activity, then most of the time pricing is the main issue.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 3, 2009
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Did it sell? A great marketing plan will reach 100% of the qualified buyers for your property. With any doubt about market exposure removed, all you have to worry about is price and condition.
Your agent, provided they are good at what they do, should be involved to the degree that your home requires in order to sell.

There are too many variables to determine what he should or shouldn't be doing, but he should know, based on the market conditions in that area, what type of marketing plan works best, and he should be actively communicating that with you on a regular basis.
Question's going on a year old....
First of all Larry, there are hundreds of homes on the market on short sale and forclosure in your area. You might want to find out what these homes are selling for and what condition they are in. Buyers want the most for their money and that means new, new, new and clean, clean, clean. What do you have to offer in your home that others do not? Craigs list has thousands of homes on the market and they are not prequalified buyers. That is one thing that you should ask for you agent to put on the listing in the MLS.
He might hold an open house and advertise on the internet also. Is there a virtual tour on his listing etc.
You did not state the price of your home, but if it is in the ball park of many others, you are going to have to have the best of the best. You m ight consider giving back a few dollars toward closing costs if you are able to do this. Speak with your realtor and do not second guess him. Good luck!!
Online would have been a good place to put your house as well...Maybe flyers, etc. So to answer your question simply would be, "yes, he could have done a little more".
Hi Larry

When you interview a REALTOR® for selling your house, there are several documents he should share with you at the listing appointment. One of those documents is a marketing plan showing his actions to sell your property.

Using the MLS and putting up a sign are certainly two things, but there are many more.

Have a talk with your agent so you can understand what else he is doing to achieve a successful sale for you.

Marilyn Stark, REALTOR®
Century 21 Heritage Realty
Marilyn.Stark@gmail.com
http://MarilynStark.com
520-243-0060
Hi Larry,
According to the National Association of Realtors, 87% of buyers begin their home search online. These days a thorough marketing plan (including a significant portion directed to online marketing) is essential for any home seller, especially considering the market climate.

I would recommend to anyone selling today to research their agents online competency by simply "googling" the agents name. If your agent has been successfully marketing online for the homes in which they list, there should be adequate evidence of this by a high number of results from your query. If you cannot find your agents name online...run, fast.

I'm not saying that online marketing is the only way, but it should very much be included as part of any well-rounded campaign.

Unfortunately these days, the only way to protect yourself as a consumer is to do your research and know your rights. Real estate is no different. Don't be afraid to present your concerns to your agent...they are working for you.

Warm regards,
Jennifer

Jennifer Scott McLaughlin
Agent in Cape Haze, Florida
Well, the agent should be handling the on-line marketing, too. And you can tell him I said so. And the buyers should be contacting him, not you.
Hi Larry,
Wow...it is a team effort to sell your home. what vision you have to take the step to get on Craigslist! The real estate business is one that is uniquely entrepreneurial,and each agent has his/hers own marketing plan. If you are not feeling great about the service that your agent is providing you...then I would suggest discussing this with your agent. You still have the right to contact other agents and interview them. This simple step will help you make your own decision as to whether or not your agent is doing a good job for you.
I would ask for the agents statistics. For example: what is your sales price to list price, what is your average days on market, how many homes have you sold this year, what designations and awards do they have?...In our market it is important to understand "Short Sales and Foreclosures"...Do they understand this market?
Good luck...
Larry

I'm not a realtor; I am a Home Stager who recently sold my own home with a great realtor. He had beautiful classy flyers, sent it not only to MLS, but also so many syndicated websites that show listings on the internet. A big internet presence is important, such as Realtor. com, Trulia, etc.

Open houses have pros and cons - they don't typically bring a buyer, but interested parties often use them to come back and check it out again.
Communication with your agent is key. I am somewhat disappointed that your agent hasn't communicated to you exactly what he has done, but it is certainly your right, since he works for you, to respectfully request exactly where and how your house is being marketed.
How are the pictures? Is there a virtual tour? In my opinion, pictures are second only to price in importance.
What about broker's open and caravans? Exposure to the general public is important of course, but so is getting the attention of the agents who will eventually bring the buyers.
Has your agent kept on top of the comparables to make sure the house continues to be priced correctly?
There's so much more that goes into having a listing than what you think. Give your agent a chance to prove that to you. If he can't show you anything more than what you have stated, and is not willing to do more than that, then I would talk to his broker.
I would give him the benefit of the doubt because many people have no idea how much realtors do. I didn't until I started doing it.
Good luck wih everything!
Larry,

There is a TON more that they can be doing other than the MLS and a sign but to make sure that they are just doing what you say have you asked them to give you an update on all the things they are doing?

Sean Dawes