ScotFinn, Home Buyer in Midlothian, VA

Is it worth the money to stage a home?

Asked by ScotFinn, Midlothian, VA Sat Apr 27, 2013

I can afford to move to a new home, have the present one cleaned and painted so it is inmaculate but empty. Thoughts either way please. Home is about $400,000 in a desirable neighborhood.

Answers

9
Hi Scot Fin,
Yes its worth staging. Homes sell faster and for more money than a vacant home. In our area, especially at that price point there is an expectation on the part of the buyer. I have a great stage that I use. Let me know if i can help.
Joan Dorsey
Broker/Owner
Jefferson Properties
804-833-8035
If homes are selling very quickly or if your home is decorated like Martha Stewart was there, then I'd try for a little bit without a stager - BUT - if there the home looks dated, sometimes staging can help make it look a little more with the time.
You don't have to stage a home to sell it. You have two choices. Stage it or empty it. If you stage it don't go crazy. Just declutter and make sure the home flows well from room to room. If you empty the house you need to make sure all the walls are freshly painted and everything is spotless clean! When a house is empty it's much easier to notice every defect so you must pay much more attention to making sure there are no repairs needed and everything looks great.

It's 50/50 right down the line as to what people prefer, staged or empty. You cannot please everyone so you just have to pick one direction and do it right.

Lee Newcomb, Realtor
Long and Foster Real Estate
804-928-4475
Lee.Newcomb@LNF.com
Hi ScotFinn,

The market has definitely shifted towards a seller's market. I wouldn't waste your money if the home is vacant. I would however recommend it on a home that is not decorated very well. Hope that helps!

Warm Regards,

Ryan C. Sanford
Associate Broker, CDPE
RE/MAX Commonwealth
Top 1% of Agents in Central Virginia!
9401 Courthouse Road, Suite 200
Chesterfield, VA. 23832
804-218-3409 mobile, text
804-777-9001 office
http://www.ryantherealtor.net
In most places home staging is a good return on your investment. It is not always necessary to stage every room of the home but the major rooms such as kitchen, bathroom, master, living room. It gives people a better feel for living in the home and is more welcoming than a vacant home. It is easy to spend too much on home staging, but a little bit can go a long way. Contact a local Realtor and ask for referrals for a home staging professional that has had great results. Best of luck to you.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
RE/MAX Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
http://www.tammyhayes.remax-florida.com/
Hi Scot Fin,

Staging a home can be beneficial for a quick sale. It helps buyer’s obtain vision and understand the layout and flow of a home. It assists in allowing them to conceptualize their own belongings fit and function in the space and most of all it sells the lifestyle.

Staging does not have to be dramatic, but enough that the buyer can see themselves living there. The key is to appeal to as many potential clients as possible, to maximize exposure and get a quick sale.

Eleni Filippone
Long & Foster
Village of Midlothian
804-433-9113
Scot,
I meant i have a great "stager".
Hi ScotFinn,

If the average days on the market is less than 30 in your area, I wouldn't bother. However, if homes are staying on the market upwards of 90 days or more, I would strongly consider it. Another thought would be to leave a few pieces of furniture behind that could be accessorized. This would reduce the cost of staging your property. Discuss the issue with your agent for his/her thoughts on the matter.

Best of luck,

Barbara Grandolfo
Hi, ScotFinn: Have your agent take a look at the comps in the neighborhood to see whether there is a significant upside to the cost of staging. (In other words, can you make more and have a quicker sale, offsetting the cost.) If the home is in great, updated condition my impression is that it is always worth staging. Good luck!