Home Selling in Casper>Question Details

Wendy, Home Seller in Casper, WY

Is it worth the expense of insulating, sheetrocking and heating our oversized double garage to increase our value>?

Asked by Wendy, Casper, WY Sat Feb 12, 2011

Answers

8
Recent statistics show that there are very few home improvements that will pay for themselves at closing time. I advise to reduce the asking price by the amount you would have spent, and look for a faster sale.
It depends on your home and its location whether it will return and how much it will return. I'm happy to take a brief tour and my advice is free. Common sense says if your neighbors already have this improvement, then it is customary and expected in your neighborhood: go for it. If not, it could be over doing it, or a selling point. The only way to know for sure is to ask an educated realtor. Rita Parker, Broker/Owner, No Place Like Home, 307-247-0963 or ritaparkersellshomes@gmail.com
Wendy,
Rather than take my word, or any other agent that's not in WY, I think you need to talk to some local agents. The National Association of Realtors has a saying, "All markets are local." What may work in my Seattle market may not in yours.
My wife and I love to meet with future sellers in advance of them making decisions like yours so that your time and money are well spent. Some improvements do bring a positive return on investment; others will sell your home quicker, but not necessarily for more money. Talk to a local agent who is successfully selling homes in your area and see what they think.
Wendy, I see you are living in Casper, Wyoming. It gets pretty cold there in the winter time. Is it customary for garages to be insulated and heated in your area? Otherwise, it would not make sense to do this work. Most likely you wouldn't get your money back. I recommend you have a chat with a local Realtor. It doesn't cost you anything but time and you might get valuable information.
Wendy,

And how would this increase you home's value? Are you planning on converting your garage to living space? If so, there is likely much more to the process than this. Consult with a contractor or the building codes office.

There's a god website to determine cost vs value of home iimprovements/renovations.

Try this:
http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2010/costvsvalue/division/mount… Garage improvements seem to be around: replacing the door or adding a garage

Unless the buyer is a car buff or someone who intends to spend a lot of time in the garage or convert the garage to living space (hence the heated space), you may be want to put your money in other projects that will surely attract more attention and reap more benefits in terms of creature comforts and upgrades.

Fresh paint ,and newer flooring would be a better use of your money. They may not allow you to increase your asking price much , but should affect a quicker sale.
Wendy,

I don't think it's worth the hastle and expense (unless you can get some good use out of the garage before you sell.) Whether a garage is heated or not will very rarely, if ever, be a deciding factor in someone's home purchase. It's definitly nice to have if your a gear head or enjoy wood working, but most people look at the garage as a place to park there cars and store some things. I don't see the value of your home increasing at all by doing so.

Marcin Talaga
Marcin@conlonrealestate.com