Patricia, Other/Just Looking in 35806

Is it worth $1500-2000 dollars to replace a kitchen floor in good condition before a house goes on the market?

Asked by Patricia, 35806 Fri Mar 13, 2009

Our realtor has advised us to do so even though the linoleum is not in bad shape. It was just the odd choice of the prior owner to use two dissimilar patterns to separate the kitchen proper from the connecting breakfast nook. Both are fairly neutral patterns. It never bothered me when we bought the house, so I'm concerned that this expenditure may be a waste and not recouped in the final selling price in this down market.

Might it be better to just offer a flooring allowance if the prospective buyer makes an issue of the mismatched floor? I hate the thought of our kitchen being torn up for days too if a new floor just ends up making no difference or if the buyer plans to replace it with their own choice of flooring anyway. Any advice? Thanks.

Answers

2
Larry Riggs’ answer
Patricia,
I've been at this for about 20 years and I have to agree with your Realtor. Will you recover your expenditure? I think the more accurate way to phrase it is, how much will the buyer want to discount for the mismatched floor? Even if they don't mind it that much they will probably want to use it as a bargaining point. As for a flooring allowance, I don't recommend it. I had a listing with very dated carpet and the seller wanted to give an allowance. I got a bid to replace the carpet and put it in with my brochures advertising an allowance. Showings but no offers. Finally the seller just replaced the carpet with a neutral color throughout and the house was under contract within two weeks. Most buyers don't want to move in and do work. Those who do want to be substantially rewarded for their efforts. Hope that helps.
Patricia,

If in your judgement, this will increase the sale ability of the home or increase the amount it sells for it may be worthwhile, otherwise list it w/o changing it.

Your agent's recommendation should be considered.