Nancy, Home Seller in 11229

Is it legal to sell a multiple family home in Brooklyn with existing asbestos in the basement, mostly around the heating unit and overhead pipes.?

Asked by Nancy, 11229 Sat Jul 2, 2011

Answers

5
Nancy
You might find this information from the EPA on asbestos helpful.
http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/
This is common and does not pose any official obstacle to purchase or sale. There is no formal legal requirement to disclose asbestos as there is with lead paint.

However, it can turn off buyers and if you can afford to have it removed by licensed asbestos remediators, then it would be a very good move.

Remember that your house has a lot of competition when you go to sell it. Anything like this is likely to impact the price.

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to remove this yourself! That is the worst thing you could possibly do. The particles can hang in the air for a very long time. Just do not touch the stuff.

I hear from many investors and would love to help you sell your Brooklyn property, so please feel free to send me an email for an appointment.

Karla Harby VP
Lic Real Estate Salesperson
Charles Rutenberg
If you don't want to to remediate, or are not in a financial position to do so, you do need to disclose to buyers that asbestos is present in the basement.

Be prepared that a buyer will want you to address this.

Best wishes.........
It is not illegal but it may cause a reg flag for the buyer or his inspector.
I am not sure what you mean by 'legal'. First, realtors cannot give legal advice. However, in my experience asbestos is generally raised as an issue after the home inspection. Many buyers ask to have it remediated. If the asbestos is covering pipes it can sometimes be 'encapsulated' wrapped in an air tight substance which makes it unable to cause any harm since asbestos is only dangerous when it becomes air-borne. Around the heating unit I a not so sure. It could be encapsulated as well. I had a recent incident where the inspector said if the new owners planned on finishing the basement, the process of putting up framing and sheetrock would sufficiently 'encapsulate' a small amount of asbestos surrounding an air conditioning duct.

I hope that helps. I cannot say whether it is 'legal' to sell the house 'as is' with asbestos, but you can expect potential buyers to ask that it be remediated. Still, that may not be nearly as difficult or expensive as you might think. In fact, it might pay to have an asbestos remediation company come take a look and give you an estimate on fixing the situation before you put it on the market.