ReadytoGo, Both Buyer and Seller in Warrenton, VA

Is it customary to leave your refrigerator and or washer /dryer when you sell a home in Virginia?

Asked by ReadytoGo, Warrenton, VA Sat Nov 7, 2009

Answers

10
Hi there!
Yes, it is common practice to leave these appliances in the home but as many have suggested you can take those with you and: have this noted in the listing, replace them, OR ...provide an allowance for a replacement. This might be a better solution so the buyers can select what they like.
Hope this helps you.
Janet A. Rehanek, Long and Foster, Warrenton Office
Dear ReadytoGo:

Yes, it is customary to leave your refrigerator and washer/dryer when you sell a home in Virginia. If you have an Appliance or even a Light Fixture that you want to take with you here are a few suggestions. Please have your agent put a sign on that Appliance or Fixture that it does not convey with the house. This will cause no problems when a Buyer's Agent writes a contract on your home. I normally recommend to my Sellers to take down the fixture, so it doesn't cause any problems when you receive a contract. A large appliance I always put a sign on it. Such as "REFRIGERATOR DOES NOT CONVEY". I also prepare for my Seller a sizable piece of paper typed out note and place on the kitchen island or table that a particular item does not convey with the home. So the sign shows in 2 places on the appliance and on Kitchen table or island. I also put in the Agent Remarks if something does not convey so there is no confusion.

If you have any further questions, feel free to call me.

Terri Evans
Real Estate Consultant
Licensed in Virginia & West Virginia
Please visit my website http://www.WinchesterVaHomes.com for Free information.
depends on what your competition is offering. if you are in the first time home buyer range, a full appliance package is a good perk for the buyer. If most of the homes you are competing with are not offering it, you can offer them as an incentive at the time of listing (if they are in good shape), throw them in during negotiations (especially if the buyer asks for them and they were not originally listed), and if the buyer doesn't want your used appliances, take pictures and have your agent email them around different offices to sell to some other first time home buyer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 29, 2009
Even new homes generally come with the refrigerator; washers and dryers convey probably about 70% of the time in a conventional resale; many REOs do not have appliances. Although be forewarned, appraisers do not include any value for these because they are considered personal property. Someone earlier recommended removing what doesn't convey - I agree. If it's visible, buyers often use it as a negotiating point. All of this, however, is variable depending on the specifics in your market. If you are priced right and get multiple offers right away, buyers won't argue over these things. If your submarket is slower, not having these items in your home will be a consideration for your buyers, and they will decrease the price they are willing or able to pay because they will have noteworthy up front costs - same thing goes with window treatments.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Yes. It's customary in Virginia to leave your refrigerator and washer/dryer when you sell. Now, that's not true in certain other areas of the country. But it is in Virginia.

If you have a refrigerator or washer/dryer that you're really attached to and absolutely want to take it with you, there are a couple of options. The best is to remove and put into storage those items before putting the house on the market. Then replace them with appropriate-quality replacements. So, if you've recently bought a $2,000 refrigerator that you want to take with you, you'd remove it and replace it with a decent quality, less expensive one.

A less desirable alternative is to note on the listing that the refrigerator, washer, and dryer do not convey. It's perfectly ethical, but it does disappoint the buyers.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Yes, it is customary to leave those appliances in your home when you sell it. I've seen people that were very attached to their expensive and shiny washer/dryer that did not sell include them, but they adjusted the price down to reflect the cost of the washer/dryer.

In my professional opinion, not including those appliances will hurt your chances of selling because it's one more thing that the buyer has to buy/do if they buy your home.

Danilo
http://LoudounScene.com
http://LoudounForeclosures.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
If you are a buyer and have looked at homes in the area in which you want to live, you will get a very good idea of what most people include with the house. If you are a seller, you may have looked at your competition to see what those houses look like.You will get a good idea about what you need to do to get your home sold.

When interviewing your agent(s), listen for what advice he or she gives about what it takes to get your home sold and what should you should look for in a purchase.

Web Reference: http://www.mmgates.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Look at it from a buyers perspective. If you leave those in your house is there an advantage to the buyer?

Would you be more or less interested in a house that did not require you to immediately spend $1-2,000 (or more) for those items? Stove, refrigerator, washer and dryer all ad up in price.

We have a lot of buyers who can barely afford to buy a house. If the appliances are missing that may mean they can not afford the house and appliances also.

The only option to consider would be to say appliances would convey if the price of $x is included in the price. But would most buyers see that as a plus or a minus? Look at being young and trying to buy. What would you want to find? What would you look at as a reason to look at something else? I suspect most people like the idea of appliances being included. It makes the house a lot easier to move into.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 7, 2009
You are not required to be it is customary to do so. It is quite different in other areas of the country. When I lived in AZ and moved back to VA they thought it was strange that I left those items. If you do not wish to leave them you must make that clear in your listing so a buyer knows they are not included in the sale.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 7, 2009
Since there are a lot of homes on the market that are in competition with one another, it usually helps to leave them so your home is equal to or better than the competition.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 7, 2009