JKS, Both Buyer and Seller in Oklahoma City, OK

Is it cost effective before selling to replace my Corian kitchen countertop with a Granite one? My house is in Edgemere Heights.

Asked by JKS, Oklahoma City, OK Sun Mar 27, 2011

If so, how is the cheapest way to get this done?

Answers

12
As a buyer who is currently looking for a historic home in that area (and someone who would probably want to buy your house), I would say do NOT replace the countertop. I hate walking into a home that's for sale and someone has put in shiny new granite just to make it sell. When I see that, I don't see a fancy "modern update." I see something that will add to the house price and go to waste because I will have to redo because it won't match my much-loved vintage-style dishes and antiques. I personally would prefer a kitchen that is ready for an update because then I could do the vintage-style kitchen I've been dreaming about.

This notion remodeling kitchens and bathrooms in old houses to make them sell is very silly. You don't know what a buyer's taste will be. There are some buyers (like myself) who see a kitchen (or a bathroom) that needs to be updated as a room full of potential. In fact, that would be a great thing to include in the listing! "Kitchen/bathroom full of possibilities, perfect for the remodel of your dreams!" It would certainly get my attention and it would increase the likelihood that I would buy your house.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 7, 2011
Personally, I beleive the Corian is good enough to sell your home. Keep this in mind, even if you put Granite in it may not be the color or "taste" the new Buyer wants. Stay the course and sell your home the way it is!
For this area, more people WANT granite. Supposedly, Corian is a stronger product (I hear) but buyers WANT granite. They don't care that sometimes Corian is more expensive than granite and that it may last longer and is more durable. Buyers in this area think that Granite is what the elite have and they want to be elite ;) But if you already have Corian countertops, they may look great and be in great shape. Again, I suggest you have a professional come to your home, tour it and than they can really speak to with more knowledge and more specifics to your home. Good Luck, Janice!

Jennifer Henning
REALTOR | GREEN Designee
[p] 405.625.1576
[e] Jenn@JenniferSellsOklahoma.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 29, 2011
Edgemere Heights is a great area - I have come across buyers who do not particularly like Granite - therefore I think you are fine to leave the Corian - if it looks good. Buyers can change later if they wish. As long as the home is priced fairly, I think it will work for you to leave the Corian. Let me know if we can help you with anything.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 27, 2011
Unless your current counter top is in need of replacement, I would not do something like that just before I sold it. New buyers like to redo a kitchen after the purchase, the women want that kitchen just right and I think many would just want to do it their way.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 27, 2011
It depends on what your neighbors have that have similar square footage, bedrooms, bathrooms, year built, etc.

One of the worst things I see sellers do is upgrade beyond what the neighborhood calls for. Brand new windows as opposed to the old fashioned, pulley kind is a prime example. I fixed a house in Central Park (NW 30th and Shartel) that had the old fashioned, pulley kind windows and found that none of the houses that sold over there had updated windows, so I wasn't going to spend $8,000 dollars updating mine (There were over 34 windows in the house)

However, it is my understanding that Edgemere Heights is rather cheeky. I would go to Realtor.com and pull up interior pics of homes in your neighborhood and see what they have before you make a decision to upgrade.

Rose Wilkinson
http://www.RozBuysHomes.com
405-881-5958
Edgemere Heights is an awesome neighborhood and I have sold many homes in that area. From experience I can say that you are competing sellers that have been using granite where architecturally appropriate (i.e. maybe not in a historic home). Many of the historics have marble counter tops, so make sure you are architecturally correct!

If you choose granite, it is a great choice in remodeling because it is hot in the buyer's eyes. If you do, go direct to a granite supplier, do not buy overstock. There are a lot of great granite suppliers that can & do beat the local home improvement stores (Lowes, Home Depot etc.). Make a wise choice, not the cheap choice, it will potentially hinder sales. I always recommend a lighter, tastefully neutral. Lots of choices, look at what builders are using in new homes, this is a great key to what the buyers are looking for.

Good luck and feel free to email or call me direct if you need more assistance.
Tim Hansen
Churchill-Brown & Associates
American Family Homes
405-812-4646
amfamilyhomes@gmail.com
http://www.amfamilyhomes.com
It depends on the type of countertop you go with. There are some countertops that are more valuable than the one you have already. I would talk with a countertop company and browse products. Make sure you get one that increases the value of your home, not decreases it. http://www.economykitchenbath.com
Flag Tue May 26, 2015
Buyers like the granite counter tops. You can buy overstock of granit form you local home improvement store or wholeslae tile store.

Many of these business over installation or can refer you to an installer.

Best of luck to you!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
KawaindPayen@gmail.com
Thanks to the buyer who responded to my countertop question. We're also house hunting, and I'm sick to death of seeing granite countertops that aren't to my style or taste. I left the Corian, and it looks great! If you're really interested in seeing our house,check out the link I posted below. You can view the photographs to decide if it's a home you'd like to view.
CS:

I have a friend who needs to sell her house in Central Park, it's a cute bungaloo, in great shape,over 1400 sqft and under $90k. Email me at Jenn@JenniferSellsOklahoma.com if interested.

Jennifer Henning
REALTOR | GREEN Designee
[p] 405.625.1576
[e] Jenn@JenniferSellsOklahoma.com
Corian is still a solid counter top. Unless it is in bad shape I think you should leave it. The current story on granite is that it releases "radon". We've been hearing that in Massachusetts - no idea if its true. Just have your agent stress its solid top. We've seen buyers not care unless of course the pattern or color is bad.
It would definitely add to the value of the home estethically. Depending on the size of your kitchen you may be able to go to an outlet or a place like habitat for humanities stores where they have building materials that builders donate.

Check out the link below and see comments #10 & # 11

Sharyn Willard
Coldwell Banker Select
http://www.SharynTheWealth.com
918.605.1480