Maryanne Sac…, Home Seller in West Seneca, NY

Is it better to sell a home that is furnished or empty?

Asked by Maryanne Sachenik, West Seneca, NY Sun Jun 30, 2013

Answers

22
Bill Eckler-Florida,’s answer
This question rivals the old "which came first the chicken or the egg?" question and likely depends on the property and its condition. Furnishing often mask property flaws and can also get in the way of the buyers ability to actually see the property for what it is. On the other hand, empty clean, and freshly painted property can make a statement and allow the buyer easier ability to imaging the use of the home's space, allowing them to place furniture and create utility for the space.

The bottom line here is that you can't make a mistake either way...as long as you take a tasteful approach remembering that "less is better" and that all buyers should leave your showing remembering something positive about what they've just seen.

It's really not an issue of "furnished or unfurnished" but one of how you create a pleasant atmosphere that does the home justice.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 30, 2013
Maryanne,

When a home is empty, it is hard to calculate roominess; a furnished room (properly stated) looks much larger than a vacant one.

Consider using a stager who might use your furniture or might have access to rental furniture.

Gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
Minimal furniture is better than empty. Consider hiring a stager if the house is vacant and priced well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 21, 2015
Staged, furnished homes tend to show the best, and buyers tend to pay more for something that looks nicer. Rooms also tend to look smaller when they're empty, as opposed to when they're furnished (with the right amount of furniture!). It seems counterintuitive, but it really is true!

If you have an empty house, and need furniture for it, we have a local company that we work with for furniture rentals to stage empty homes. Give us a call if we can help!

Jennifer Maxian and Michael Culeton
The Maxian Culeton Team at HUNT Real Estate ERA

Jennifer - (716) 946-6112 - jennifer.maxian@huntrealestate.com
Michael - (315) 402-0208
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 13, 2014
I agree with the agents that have responded, a staged home usually sells quicker. However, there is a difference between a staged home and a furnished home. Just having furniture in a home does not mean that it is being presented the best way.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 12, 2014
A staged home is a great tool for giving a possible buyer a way to envision their home. The buyer may not decorate the same way as you, but they would see the potential in any given space.

Jesse Cimino
HUNT Real Estate ERA
716-809-8418
jesse.cimino@huntrealestate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 22, 2014
Depends on whether you have a Multi-Unit or a Single Family home. I find that the Multi-Unit homes are much easier to sell if they are Vacant and empty. The Single Family home usually moves better for me if it's furnished. Of course each home is different and location, price and other factors will determine the decision you eventually make. Good Luck!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 30, 2013
Properly furnished (i.e. "staged") is preferable. Look at what new home sellers and investors (flippers) do - they stage and for a good reason. Ask your realtor to assist you to find a good stager or to re-purpose what you have. Best of luck!
If the furniture is tired and dated ur better off selling it vacant - give the place a fresh coat of paint and perhaps new carpets. Best choice is to do that AND stage it. Best bang for ur buck by far. Some stagers will work w the furniture that's already available in the home and add their own as well as accessories which can be less expensive. But be sure to DECLUTTER.
I typically say "Less is More" ... meaning that the fewer items we have in a house, the more space is shown, which is a good thing. However, there is no question that a lightly staged house is better than an empty house, since empty spaces can feel sterile & ruin depth perception.

Most buyers want to feel like they are entering a home, their future home!

If you are tight on a budget, curtains, towels, and inflatable furniture can go a long way. I personally have a bunch of my own that I use in my vacant listings. I will take inflatable mattresses and stack two, use a collapsible frame, or prop up on boxes and then cover with neutral bedding & decorative pillows. It's a great way to show space & make it feel more like a home. You can also use a card table with a nice tablecloth & centerpiece to show space & as warmth to a dining area.
That all depends on the furnishings and the condition of the house. If there is old or outdated furniture (or sometimes smelly furniture) it can be a detriment to what buyers are seeing and they don't necessarily see a well maintained home.
If you can afford to stage that is ideal, but not always realistic for many sellers.
Furnished and warm is the best approach. Minimal furniture to accent each room and define the space. Hiring a pro is a good idea, but keeping it simple is a good idea.
I believe in staging. A seller will recover the cost of staging, because the home will end up selling for more. Your real estate agent should be able to refer you to a staging company.
A staged home and a furnished can be 2 totally different things. But in my experience, a staged home gets a lot more attention from my buyers than one that is vacant. A home cluttered with furniture can really have a negative impact too. A properly furnished home does help a buyer judge how their things will fit in a room. A staging company can rent decorative items, beds, tables & couches to fill in a vacant home or just make your exsisting furniture look better. Some people can visualize better than others so you may not excite some that look at a vacant home as others, but it will most likely still sell if it has all the things they are looking for.
I'm a true believer that there is a buyer for any and every home! Furnished or empty... your house will sell. What determines the way it shows is a result of the condition of the home and how it's been taken care of and maintained. Make sure that you choose a Realtor who will market your home the best and price it accordingly (whether it's furnished or not). For the current market... properties in good condition and priced correctly are flying off the market with multiple offers! Feel free to contact me for a free-no obligation Comparative Market Analysis.

Leah Krajewski
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Hunt Real Estate
2835 Sheridan Dr.
Tonawanda, NY 14150
Cell: (716)997-7812
leah.krajewski@huntrealestate.com
It depends on the layout, especially if the rooms are an awkward shape. Having furniture will better depict how the room can be set up. Statistics shows that staged homes tend to sell quicker. One exception would be if the furniture is old, worn, and not complimentary to the space. Accessories go a long way to, pops of color etc.

Chris
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2014
It is always better to make a pictures of the house, when there are a furniture. But selling of`course empty.
A well staged home will typically result in a faster sale.
A nicely furnished home can definitely help buyers envision themselves living in your home. A home with too many furnishings can make a home feel smaller and or cluttered.
I would suggest basic pieces to define the space are very helpful. Always remember neutral colors and basic pieces can do a lot more than over done.
Jeannette Sutter
jeannette.sutter@huntrealestate.com
716-997-2420
Maryanne,

I agree with my colleagues. It really does depend on the furniture and your ability to properly place it...ie how accomplished you are at staging. It is a phenomenal question. As Jerry mentioned, the right staging can make a bad property look good and a good one look bad. I'd start off by talking to a professional that will give it to you straight. Our friends and family often try to be nice and tell us what we want to hear rather than what we need to hear.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Robert Blake
(716) 225-6273
Broker
HUNT Real Estate
You have decided to sell you Western New York home. You have a beautiful home that you decorated for your need and reflect your personal tastes. And in that lies the problem. It is deeply personal and it is your home.

Buyers may have difficulty making that transition to seeing it as THEIR home. You really need to speak with a REALTOR to discuss what would be best for your particular home.
Maryanne,

much depends on the home, I have had homes that haven't sold until the current furnishings were removed, and some where as soon as furniture is gone it shows worse, the best way to find out for certain is to get a professional to look at the home, we do this no obligation, but I can tell you having done this in WNY for over 20 years there are some home I wish weren't furnished and other homes that need to be furnished, no simple answer,

I can always be reached at 716-864-7863, or c21jerry@gmail.com and have a lot of experience in West Seneca, its been very hot this year!!