Question Details

Karen  Sparr…, Real Estate Pro in Lima, OH

Is it better to have an Open House from 1-3 or 2-4.?

Asked by Karen Sparrow, Lima, OH Thu Apr 24, 2008

Answers

7
2 to 4 is common in my area Karen. Look at the times that other OPEN HOUSE's are advertised and plan accordingly. Good Luck!
Karen
It does not matter.
Local rules should be followed. Based on my experience, unless you are in a seller's market, having OH is nice to find buyers.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Hi Karen: My response would be that real estate is local and different areas of the country are going to demand different time frames. For instance, if you live in a resort town like I do (see New York Times article attached), most of our visitors come up on the weekends so I might start later on Saturday (from 2-6pm), and start earlier on a Sunday (from 10am-2pm). We know our visitors have to head back home and most of them leave town by 3 in the afternoon on Sunday. This could be entirely different from Lima, Ohio, so you have to do what works best for you by tracking past results.
If you have a home close to the local university, you might get more traffic before and after a sporting event, find out when local festivals and fairs might be happening and if your open house is close to a large manufacturer or hospital it might be good to post your open house on their message board?
As mentioned in other posts make sure you promote your open house to other agents, neighbors and potential buyers through various forms of communication (print ad flyers/postcards to neighbors, optimum sign locations directing traffic to your home, emails, and ads in local newspapers). I think is important to note that a lot of times homes are bought by people who already live or work nearby so your open house should targeted to the immediate neighborhood and my advice would be to structure those times based on the activity in that neighborhood.
Karen,
One of the things I usually do when I am scheduling an open house, is to network with other agents that have listings in the neighborhood. Then we try to all have our open houses at the same time. I have even put together a "home tour" pamphlet, that the Buyers can have, so they can map out all the other homes.

Here, in the Milwaukee area, we usually get a better turnout earlier in the afternoon, but I've done all times and as long as there is no Green Bay Packer game... :) we get people out looking. We usually schedule 2 hour open houses, but if people are still coming when I would normally close up, we stay of course.

Good Luck to you !
Web Reference: http://www.GoPackerUp.com
I agree with Tim. If possible, open houses should be more than just 2 hours. People go to church...people visit relatives...people have other obligations. A 2 hour window is pretty narrow. Don't make it difficult for people who might be interested in looking at a number of houses...or taking care of other business as well.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Karen:

My experience is that if you make the Open House hours on the weekend later in the day you get more traffic because it gives the potential buyer time to take care of family/personal things earlier in the day. And on Sundays you're giving church goers a chance to go to church then have lunch and not feel rushed to get to your open house. My open houses are typically 2-6 because I don't feel that two hours is enough. When people are out looking at a lot of house you don't want them to miss yours because you closed up and went home before they could get to you. Besides, if you bring your laptop it's not like you can't be doing other work in between visitors. As we head into the summer months 6PM isn't going to seem that late to most potential buyers anyway. Last but not least, doing them later gives you a chance to have a nice lunch with your own family and go to church if that's something you do. And you still have time to put out your signs. The key is to get the word out about the open house the week before with flyers, postcards, emails to other agents. I use a service called ListingeFlyer. I would check them out. Tell them Tim McBrayer sent you and maybe they'll give you a discount. I've sent them a lot of business because their emails work to build awareness of my new listings and open houses and for a modest cost they are reaching thousands of Realtors that would be almost impossible for me to reach on my own.
Hello Karen,
I have found that it doesn't make too much of a difference with those times, but I think which day you have the open house is important. I have always had more traffic on the weekends versus the week days. Good luck!
Selena McNeill, Broker
Century 21 Gold Country Realty
Bend, OR