Home Selling in San Jose>Question Details

Home Owner, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

Is it better to do a home inspection before or after you re-paint the interior and install new flooring? (this would be for resale of a home).

Asked by Home Owner, San Jose, CA Mon Mar 19, 2012

Also, do you need to hire several people that look at different things, or is one person who looks at the overall house sufficient?

Answers

14
If you are preparing the home for sale, I would recommend you get two inspections prior to doing any repairs.

1) A pest inspection, for pest and dry rot
2) a full home inspection, think of a general practitioner. They may recommend other inspections, such as roof, chimney, foundation, etc. depending on their findings.

Once those are done you can decide which repairs are necessary then have them do a re-inspection after the work is done.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.TerriVellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 19, 2012
Most homes in San Jose have some Termite or pest issues so an inspection before you do all this work would be best, I agree with the other agents to also get a general home inspection that way when you fix up your home and handle the issues they find you will find it much easier to sell your home with less trouble. A good agent can advise you best after looking over your home. There are very good agents right here who work your area and have answered your question. If you don't have one give us a try.
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Home Seller in San Jose:

I generally suggest, to the seller, that you have any inspections you want to complete, before you do any repair work. Having the pest inspection and / or home inspection (and possibly other inspections), will give you an idea on potential repair costs. You can then prioritize the most important items to complete first. Some sellers are hesitant about completing any inspections before they have an offer to purchase and then they let the buyer pay for the inspections. This works, but then the seller does not know what possible problems he may be facing once in contract. The timing may also limit your ability to negotiate the best possible price for the repair work too.

I generally hire individuals with specific skills in the type of work they are inspecting. For example, a pest inspector to check for dry rot, pests, etc; a pool inspector to check pool equipment; a roof inspector to check on its condition.

Sally Blaze
Alain Pinel Realtors
DRE#01856137
925-998-1284
sblaze@apr.com
Thank you for your question:

I recommend that you have the inspections done before you begin the work. Then do a reinspection after the repair work has been completed. That way you have a checklist of all of the repairs needed and you can make certain that all of the repairs are done, and done correctly.

My experience in the past has been that if you wait until after the work is done, to do the inspection, often there are repairs that were needed but were not done. You then have to go back and reopen the work and complete the repairs.

Where I see this problem most often is in bathrooms with leaky showers and leaky toilets that have caused water damage and dry rot damage to the substructure of the house. The homeowner may call a contractor to fix the leaky shower or toilet, but the contractor that the homeowner hired often does not make adequate repairs to the substructure.

The result is that you have to go back and open up the floor to do the additional repair work that should have been done the first time.

With respect to the issue of inspectors, I use a General Contractor who is also a licensed pest control inspector and I have him inspect everything before any work is done. That way I have a checklist for the contractors of work that must be done. Personally, I prefer to use one inspector who is licensed and qualified to inspect everything, however as long as the inspectors are well qualified, multiple inspectors work just as well.

After the work has been completed, I then call my inspector back to reinspect the property to make certain that all of the required work has been completed and completed properly.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
Hi San Jose - Assuming you are not painting to hide any water issues, I would have your home inspected after you are completely done with the work. I am happy to see a homeowner do a home inspection before listing the property. Good job and good luck with your sale!

Cindy Schlee
616-558-9595
cindyschlee@grar.com
http://www.cindyschlee.com
if you are the buyer it would be better to inspect before the seller paints and hides any water stains etc. if you are the seller it is best for you to fix everything before placing it before sale. A good inspector is only 1 person, not a team. For speicality things or if you think there is a problem, get someone who specializes in that field such as lead paint, mold, furnace, well, septic etc
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Definitely hire a home inspector after completion of work being completed. The inspector should be certified with at least one of the following categories, if not all. If the inspector suggest hiring additional chimney, roof, electrician, plumber specialists in his report after completion, then do so. After its all said and done, you can prep owner of record disclosures to include the before and after details. Definitely suggest somewhere in the disclosures for all interested parties to run additional inspections and investigations in their best interest after job and report completion.

ASHI Certified Inspector
CREIA Certified Inspector Member
CREIA New Construction Specialist
ICC Building, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Inspector
Home Energy Rating System Rater
GreenPoint Rater
California OES SAP Building Inspector
F.I.R.E. Services Fireplace Inspector
I would do it before starting any work. A general home inspector is just that. They will inspect everything and let you know if there is cause to hire the individual inspectors, unless you know of specific items that may need checking out, i.e. roof, plumbing, heating & A/C, electrical or structural then you would hire the individual inspectors.
Inspector should inspect before repairs and reinspect after repairs are done.
Make sure you get a state certified/licensed inspector. Ask for their qualifications and get references. You should hire the inspector to do a "pre-sale inspection" and ask him what he charges to come back to update the inspection after repairs are completed. Try to locate in inspector with a Master's, as they will be much more experienced and well-rounded on the different issues.

I would wait until you have completed all repairs. Typically one home inspector can cover all the bases, and if they cannot, they should be able to refer you to other contractors who can.
The home inspection can be accomplished by one inspector including roof for 1 story home. He is after electrical, functionality of appliances more than cosmetic work mentioned by you.

Locally most buyer prefer to do it themselves hoping to find flaws for a monetary concession.

For termite it is a good idea to get it inspected and share the results to sellers. often corrective actions have been taken.
Inspections needed: utilizing a separate specialist for each inspection.

Termite( make sure the garage is clear)
Roof
Home
Chimney

Get all of these done after all work is completed on the home and prior to getting the home on the market.

This will allow you to negotiate with a buyer as an informed seller. This equals no surprises for you.

Jim Mauldwin
Intero Real Estate
408-863-3020
Dre # 01125380 / since 1991
Web Reference: http://jimmauldwin.com
I would recommend doing the inspection after you have done all upgrades/remodel that you intend on doing. I would also recommend hiring a home inspector that looks at the overall home. They will inspect the roof, plumbing, electrical and overall construction of the home. They are trained to look at the structural issues...not the cosmetic items as much. Get an inspector that can provide references to you, and is a member of a national organization...in short a credible inspector.

Use the inspection to your benefit in the sale of the home...let others know what was found (if anything). You may want to correct the more significant items to let the buyers know they were addressed.