Compherfmly, Home Seller in Warrenton, VA

Is it appropriate to negotiate a commission percentage lower than the customary 6%?

Asked by Compherfmly, Warrenton, VA Sat Apr 6, 2013

Answers

13
Commission percentage is negotiable.

At our Company (Help-U-Sell), we charge a set fee for our services, as opposed to the traditional 6 percent commission, which, in turn, helps you to retain a greater amount of equity while still receiving all the real estate services you expect.

Our agents are fully licensed professionals, members of the local Board of Realtors and of the National Association of Realtors®, work with both Buyers and Sellers, and provide a full range of real estate services.

Our unique marketing strategies drive a steady stream of traffic to our website and offices, which results in many buyers for our listings and many new listings. Additionally, our streamlined operations and cost efficiencies translate into low overhead and savings that we pass along to consumers with our low set fee.

You can call the local office in your area by going to http://www.Helpusell.com

Meena Gujral
Help-U-Sell Achievers Realty
http://www.helpusellachievers.com
925-425-9491
510-279-9580
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 10, 2013
Commissions are always negotiable between you and your agent, there are no set standards; therefore choose your agent with care and not by commission alone...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 7, 2013
Compherfmly,
Commissions are by law negotiable and each agent or company can determine what they feel their services are worth and what you get for those services. There are various business models out there, some flat fee listings, some list your home on the local MLS and do little else. Some will charge less than others and could be a good choice, but you never know until you receive their services.
I can't tell you what to pay, I can tell you that the best agents earn more than whatever they charge and the worst ones cost you more than just a commission. I encourage people to focus on the best available agent and let the commission be a secondary matter. If the best agent charges less then another, good for you. If all the agent has to offer is a low commission fee, wonder how they stay in business when others charge so much more?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
I would caution the seller - if the listing agent advertises the home at say 2.5%
no problem - right? -- Maybe / Maybe not

If there are there any competing properties in the development/community...
It is likely your home will be the last one any realtor will offer to show.
This can significantly reduce the buyer pool exposed to your property...
Reduce the pool - take longer to sell - reduce your net...

Try the other side - raise the commission -

I can promise you - your property will get the maximum visibility...
Increase the pool - sell faster - raise your net...

It's the law -

Good luck...
Web Reference: http://www.garyyoungman.com
2.5% per side (buyer agent and seller agent) = reduced rate of 5% to seller
Flag Tue Jun 24, 2014
Commission can be negotiated, but you shouldn't choose an agent based on commission for one of your biggest investments. As with anything, you usually get what you pay for and different agents will promote your home different ways. Also, if they are willing to negotiate their commission, how likely are they to fight for the price of your home and work for you?
All is negotiable. Prices are set by individuals and offices and negotiable of course. There is nothing wrong with negotiating with your Real Estate Agency worst they can say is that this is their fee or even better will work with something that will make both sides happy.
I negotiate commission based on distance and transaction difficulty.
http://www.kellyandrews.webs.com
You can negotiate the commission the agent quotes you. I would recommend interviewing with an agent and finding out what they will provide you for their services. Hiring an experienced agent that knows how to market the property is well worth a higher percentage. If you hire based solely on the brokerage fee alone you may be hurting yourself in the long run. The goal is to get your property sold with you (the owners) best interest in mind!!
I am not sure are you a seller or a Realtor? Commissions for Realtors are negotiable, once ready to list a home for sale, there will be the discussion between seller and Realtor about the commission he or she and their real estate brokerage charges, and also what their services include in details, remember you always get what you pay for, really like with everything in life.

Can you negotiate the commission yes, depends on the Realtor and real estate brokerage if they
have various services and %..... but there really is nothing customary, by law they are not set or anything and each real estate brokerage and their agents set and negotiate the % with each individual
Seller often it depends on the type of property and the ease or difficulty to sell.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties ---- EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
You can discuss this with the agents that you're interviewing; many will work for a reduced commission. Something to keep in mind; This is split 50/50 with the buyers agent and this is their (the agents) sole income, if they're full time Realtors. Additionally many agents use a percentage of this for marketing the listing. Hope this helps you.
Compherfmly,
Just to clarify one point. Agent A says, I charge X% period. Offering them less may not matter, they may not "negotiate" with you off of what their standard business model is.
Agent B may say I charge X% but if you only want to pay me Y% I will reduce the services I offer in the following ways.....
Agent C says, I want X% but I'm desperate for business right now, so I'll take Z%. In doing this I will only offer a selling office commission of Z% too. While this may appear cheaper, it could work against you in terms of agents being dis-incentivized to show or sell your home if their commissions are not comparable with other homes their buyer may be equally happy in. While the decision of which house to make an offer on is always the buyer, a buyer's agent can play up any issues you have in location or condition to make it less attractive.
Now, many agents will loudly say, "I will not let the selling office commission influence my recommendation." Good for them, but if the one with a buyer who would otherwise be interested in your home doesn't have that level of integrity, it could cost you.
Commissions are shared. First with the other office, then with the government (we pay our taxes directly and do not have withholding. We also pay our own SSI). Next, we subtract our expenses. By the time we are done the huge sum it appears an agent gets, is whittled down quite a bit.
Now, don't feel bad for us, we choose this business. Just realize that the best agents who have been doing this a while know what it takes to stay in business, cover our expenses and provide great service.
While the statement, "All Commissions are Negotiable" is true, each agent or company decides for themselves how to do business.
I wouldn't even go so far as to say any particular amount is "customary." I know a number of agents and brokerages that serve Warranton that charge a different amount.

However, all commissions are negotiable. So if you find an agent who initially quotes you 6% (or 7%, or 5%, or whatever), it certainly is appropriate to attempt to negotiate that commission. Many agents will say no. (Negotiable doesn't mean they HAVE to accept your number.) Some undoubtedly will say yes, though perhaps with a lower level of service.

But, sure: It's appropriate to negotiate. Tip: Offer something in return. A good negotiation involves movement and compromise on both sides. If you want to pay less, what incentive are you offering the agent? Just something to think about.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA