Home Selling in 21228>Question Details

Sb, Home Seller in 21228

Is it a good idea to find a selling agent in the same town as the house I'm selling?

Asked by Sb, 21228 Tue Jun 2, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


I live in that county and can help you.

Having tenants can be a hassle, but if the person buying wants to rent it also, that would work out well wouldn't it?

Otherwise if you are trying to retail it to a homeowner, your tenants, in MD, get the "First Right of Refusal". Meaning you will want to have them sign something that says they do not wish to purchase the home themselves. (Or else let the buy it!)

Subsequently, when the house sells, the new owner will be responsible to honor the existing lease.

Getting a potential buyer in to see the place might sometimes be hard if the tenants are difficult, or keep odd schedules etc...by it is usually something that can be worked around.

Brian McLane
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 2, 2009
The tenats can stay, he or she would be the contact person for your showings on your home. They need to know ahead of time that you are planning on selling your home, I am sure that you have already done so,
Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.aniamiller.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 2, 2009
I was unclear in my original question - sorry! I own a home in Catomsville but live elsewhere. There is currently a tenant living there. Friends have recommended listing agents who happen to be in other counties, but it seemed to make sense to me to find someone who really knows Catonsville to help me sell. That's my first question. My second question is: Is it okay to have the tenant living there while the house is for sale? I'm sure it would show better if they are not, but then there's the issue of paying a mortage while the house is uninhabited... Thanks in advance for your advice!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 2, 2009

Not sure we understand your point....could you clarify, please?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 2, 2009
I would recommend that you get an agent who knows your neighborhood and all of its features. Where are the parks, the playgrounds? What about shopping and theatre? Where is the hospital and is there an airport around. These are some of the things your agent should know. If they know the positive attributes of your location, then the agent can address those positive features in their advertising. So, no, your agent does not have to live in the same town, but they need to know about it. I do think that you want them close enough to your home that they will be easily available to show it, or drop off flyers etc...
good Luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 2, 2009
If by Selling Agent you are mean the Listing Agent than the answer would most likely be YES. It should be someone that is familiar with the area, at least be in the same county. From where I stand I understand the "Selling" Agent to be the one to bring you a Buyer to sell your home to. In this situation they sometimes come from all over, sometimes even from another state.
Good luck. Please let me know if I can be of service to you.
Web Reference: http://www.aniamiller.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 2, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer