Question Details

Sherry, Other/Just Looking in Birmingham, MI

Is feedback important? Why do so many agents seem to not respond to requests for feedback on showings?

Asked by Sherry, Birmingham, MI Tue Jul 22, 2008

Answers

10
Some agents insist on receiving feedback, others feel it is a waste of time on both sides. If a client is interested in the home, the agent showing the home will call the listing agent for more information. If you don't hear anything after a showing you can assume the client is not interested. What that client thinks of your home isn't going to sell it and every person could have a different opinion or reason they don't like it.
Your agent should be the one to tell you what you can do to help sell your home, whether it be painting, new carpet, flooring or curb appeal. Hopefully the agent you're working with has the experience to tell you what you can do to optimize your results!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
Feedback is extremely important. It only takes a few minutes to send a quick email or make a phone call to the listing agent. Many times, the feedback can be automated. I really don't think agents are so busy that they can't provide feedback at their earliest convenience. Even if an agent feels there is nothing to report, some information is better than none. If the buyers have no comment, then the agent can provide his/her own impression of the property.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
Because we show so many properties, it will be virtually impossible to give feedback on every showing. Generally, as soon as we walk into a property, the buyers know instantly whether or not they want it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is true, sometimes the only feedback we get is that it isn't the house for them. There isn't always something specific and many times it's something that can't be changed (it's on a busy street, the yard isn't what they want, the rooms are small), and many times the seller or agent debate the issue with us!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
feedback is very important!!! to the listing agent and to the seller. showing agents could take a minute out of there day and shoot an email to the listing agent. i now use automated emails when i set the showings up on most of my properties and the feedback is great when i receive it, often time the agent snds it back blank. an extra 30 seconds would mean so much... and if more agents did it, then i think more agents would pick up on it and realize how important is. In addition more sellers need to read this and know the listing agent is often shut out of any comments by the showing agents. It is a courtesy one can give. And boy would it help all of us agents out...
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
Because we show so many properties, it will be virtually impossible to give feedback on every showing. Generally, as soon as we walk into a property, the buyers know instantly whether or not they want it. If there is something that is glaringly offensive or needs attention, I will call/email the agent with our impressions. Some agents welcome it, some agents simply shrug their shoulders because there's nothing they can do about the problem.

During an open house, I once pointed to an agent that there were so many ants crawling along the baseboard and that it may require an exterminator to correct (or maybe the residents should clean up more thoroughly). Her response? She looked at me like I had just criticized her own housekeeping skills. If looks could kill, hers did.

I thnk if asked, most agents will provide comments. But in many cases, we are not asked, either. When I email an agent for their feedback on MY listings, I include a link to my listing so that they know which one I'm asking about. Most of the agents responded once they knew which one it was.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
Feedback is crucially important. For the points you have mentioned.
This should be part of your real estate agent's marketing plan and should be outlined to you how he/she captures everyone who sees the house.

Please interview, and hire the right agent for the job.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
Sometimes agents don't make it easy to respond to to feedback. When I have shown 15 houses in a day and I get a call on my cell phone the next day while I am out showing to someone else asking about one of the homes I showed the day before. First, usually I don't remember them by address. I remember them by what they looked like and how my client reacted to them. So most of the time those phone calls are 1) an interruption 2) hard to respond to because I don't remember the house.

I prefer feedback requests that are emailed to me, preferably including a photo of the home. Then I am able to give the other agent meaningful feedback, and I do so very promptly.

This is also how I handle my listings. It allows me to email my sellers as soon as I hear something, so that they are not wondering how the showings went.
Web Reference: http://miOaklandCounty.com
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Sherry
I am curious on what you base your statement.
My experience is that Realtors will provide feedback, however they are busy just like anybody else so the Listing Agent needs to be creative and purposeful in soliciting feedback.

Based on your post I would guess that the situation to which you refer exists because the Realtor needs to find another way to get the information. We all have opinions about property that we see.

Now, you did not say, but one of the common issues in most markets is selling price. Posts like yours says "everyone loves our home, all the Realtors say it is priced well". And it's been on the market for three months. Phooey! Not true.

In most markets when these questions are posted many homes have sold since the listing hit the market. So it is an issue of value, not feedback. Buyers want value. Sometimes the market speaks so clearly that sellers just cannot hear it.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Oh, that's too bad that people would respond like that. I want feedback even if it is negative. Sure, nobody likes to hear negative things, but if you get enough of negative feedback then you know you have to do something. I feel it is a good tool for that purpose--analyzing the negative. Because obviously if you havent heard back from the buyer- they aren't interested. But the WHY is helpful to the seller as they might need to make changes to appeal to the masses if there are reasons they need to hear. And that change could make a sale for you as an agent in the future.
If you are extremely busy buyers agent office on property over 400 times a month, truthful we dont have the time. THEN when we have responded our response went direct to the seller, my office received a screaming phone call from the agent, seller, listing agent broker, we happen to be truthful assist in presentation. It was a weeks worth of 40 hours spent of making a comment... that was the last time we ever made a comment that years ago. http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com