Karen DiCami…, Home Seller in Gaithersburg, MD

Is changing the carpet a good investment for selling a house?

Asked by Karen DiCamillo, Gaithersburg, MD Tue Jun 18, 2013

Answers

17
I agree with Will, it definitely depends on the condition of the carpet. Some carpets just need a really good cleaning done by a professional. Others, like the carpet in my parents' house, needs to be replaced. Our cats have completely scratched up the carpet in some spots and it's definitely noticeable. In that case, fixing in the carpet would be an investment. http://www.homepriderugcleaning.com
It depends on the condition of the carpet. If it just needs to be cleaned then replacing it might cost more than what you can get out of it. Carpeting jobs can run pretty high in price.

Will Jenkins | http://www.mobilecarpetone.com/
If your carpet is still in good condition then I would recommend just having it professionally cleaned. You don't need to completely rip it out and change it. You might consider changing it out if your carpet is a weird color that doesn't suit many people, though.Otherwise, just leave it in and let the new owner decide if they want to keep it or not.
I would have a contractor inspect your house, and tell you what you should and shouldn't replace. If the carpet is in good enough condition I wouldn't replace it. I have been in a couple of houses where the carpet was just horrible, and it had to be replaced before the home could be sold. http://www.freshlookflooring.com/Hardwood-Flooring-Carpet-Installation-Langhorne-PA.html
Flag Earlier today
I agree, getting it professionally cleaned is usually the best option. If you feel like the carpet is past the point of saving, and is going to repel people from buying your home, I would replace it. The condition of the carpet can really make or break someone's decision to buy your home. http://www.carpetcleanersinmercercounty.com
Flag Wed Jul 16, 2014
Yes, definitely! Carpet, paint, declutter & deodorize! If hardwood floors are underneath the carpet, refinishing is also a great option if they are not in bad shape.
The carpeting was in pretty bad shape in some of the rooms in our last house. We decided to replace it and that made our realtor very happy. New carpet is a huge selling point, it looks good on paper and make the house feel new and clean during a walk through. http://www.staffordsdiscountcarpets.com/carpet
Yes, absolutely. And I work with contractors that will assist with financing, or defer a large portion of the cost to settlement so if you need help financing the upgrade to maximize your profit when selling, this is a great option.
Web Reference: Http://www.AlexSaenger.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 27, 2013
Karen,
Changing carpet and any other cosmetic change will help your property show better to potential buyers. Another good tip is to remove any odors present in the property such as pet odors.
Yes paint and carpet are always good investments for selling a home.
Hands down, YES changing any carpet that is not in good condition and matching carpet throughout the house to a light neutral beige is probably one of the best things you can do to prepare your home for the market. Your home will sell faster and likely for more money which means that the carpeting will likely pay for itself and then some.
Karen,

It could be, however, it would depend on how your home fits into the marketplace and other variables. I see that you might need some guidance. Number one recommendation - get the advice of a Real Estate professional who will guide you throughout the process. This Realtor would be delighted to advise you beginning to a successful conclusion.

Lucy Kessler, Associate Broker RE/MAX Realty Group
301-502-5027
I think that it is usually a good investment. For example, we walked into a home one time that had lime green carpet. It was the ugliest thing that I had ever seen. As soon as they replaced their carpet we told them they could have a chance at selling us their home. http://www.manningbroscarpet.com/cleaning_repairs.html
Flag Wed Jul 30, 2014
I especially like Greg's insight. The very presence of the question suggests you know the answer.
-
If the existing floor covering distracts from the home in any way..."it's got to go."
-
Ironicly, even brand new carpets are often ripped up by the new owner. These new owners simply don't want to live with another persons dust and dirt. This means you should avoid expensive carpet and select the best padding.
-
As others have noted, it is not a ROI situation, but is a presentation necessity.
Failure to do what is obvious will ultimately cost you DOUBLE in the negotiation process.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.
Hi Karen,

Cleaning, replacing, or maintaining flooring is one of the major considerations for home sellers. A bad floor whether it's carpet, tile, hardwood, etc. is one of the first things noticed by potential buyers and can be a deal killer.

Some sellers address this and other similar issues by offering an "allowance" for the buyer to have this work done. This approach does give the buyer the option to make the upgrades to their taste but it still doesn't negate the impact of the buyer being greeted by a shabby floor when they first enter the home.

If your carpet is dirty or stained instead of worn, you may look into the services of a carpet cleaning firm, especially if the stains are dark.

Think also, what is popular in your area for homes of your size and quality? If carpets are the norm (they are not everywhere), that's one thing; if wood floors or laminate are more popular, then you may want to focus your thinking in that direction. Also are the buyers for your home going to be fussy Generally high end buyers are significantly more fussy than others. Low-end buyers are the least fussy.

We don't want to see you spend money needlessly, nor do we want to see you have to take a discount when by spending some, you might have received more.
Hi Karen,

Just by the nature of you asking your carpet replacement question your carpets should be replaced. Having new carpets in your home will make your home more desirable to potential buyers and hopefully the buyers will "Compete" against each other offering more money for your home and possibly re-cupping your investment in re-carpeting your home.

My other concern for you is if you feel your carpets need replacing how is your wall paint, doing both is highly recommended. You do not want to show potential buyers your home has been lived "on the rough".

I DO NOT believe in "Carpet Allowance". Lenders do not want to see carpet allowances on home sale contracts. The preferred method is offering a carpet allowance as a closing cost credit, especially on FHA, VA loans.

Greg Myers
RE/MAX Realty Group
301-906-0504
As a listing agent, I will suggest several options to my Sellers if the carpets need to be replaced. One option that seems to work is offering a "Decorating or Carpet Allowance" to the buyer so they can pick out the carpet color and design that THEY choose and not necessarily what the Seller's had in mind. Yes, in the long run, if most of your home has carpet coverings that are old, it is a good investment to offer options for the Buyers.
I think that it can be a good investment if your carpet is really terrible that is currently in the house. If the carpet just isn't a flattering color, I would leave it in and let the buyer choose the new color that they want. It is really up to your personal opinion though. http://www.smartchoicecarpetalabama.com/
Flag Fri Jul 18, 2014
As Andrea stated below, it depends. Your market may call for homes with mostly tiled floors or wood floors, etc. Either way, this type of repair is more about presenting your home in its best light. It won't be the type of expense you will knowingly recoup the money on, however, if you do it right, you will increase traffic to your home which will translate to better offers! Good luck!
Hi Karen, upgrading to wood floors would be the best investment but if that is not an option than replacing the carpet is a close 2nd. It really depends on the carpet though ... is it stained and soiled? A different color in every room? 30 years old? If the answer is yes, then it's a good investment.

A well presented house will always tell the buyer that this home was loved and maintained!

This really is a great question! My advice: when in doubt, always put yourself in the buyer's shoes! What would your impression be?

Warm Regards.