Home Selling in Goreville>Question Details

Deb, Both Buyer and Seller in Goreville, IL

Is a verbal agreement to a real estate agent binding in selling our house, no papers were signed only pictures taken.?

Asked by Deb, Goreville, IL Tue Oct 6, 2009

I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice. For legal advice, see a lawyer. However . . .

First, it's unclear whether you mean a verbal agreement to list your home with an agent, or whether you mean you agreed to sell your home verbally.

In either case, though, a verbal agreement in real estate is legal but unenforceable. It sounds more as if you were discussing a listing agreement with an agent and may have agreed verbally to list it, but you didn't sign any paperwork. If that's the case--and, again, I'm not a lawyer--then you and the agent do not have an agreement and you aren't bound to use that agent in order to sell your home.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 6, 2009
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Hi, you need to have an paper contract / agreement. You need to know about commision. also, forms for MLS.
Are you selling to a company, are you dealing with a Realtor?

I don’t believe it is. I would suggest talking more with that agent and explain why you have changed your mind.