Home Selling in Atlanta>Question Details

Trulia Atlan…, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Is a sprinkler system worth installing for a house flip?

Asked by Trulia Atlanta, Atlanta, GA Thu Feb 21, 2013

Answers

8
Only in a luxury property where 50% of the competitive homes have sprinklers. Only spend money on things people will appreciate and pay for. Too often investors spend money on things most people don't want and won't pay for.

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
An Atlanta Real Estate Expert Serving Clients Since 1979
RE/MAX Hall of Fame – REALTOR Phoenix Award
CRS, CRB, ABR, MSRE, CDPE, e-PRO, ESQ
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Internet Professional
203K Certified Specialist
Attorney
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
bruce@locationlocationlocation.com
http://www.LocationLocationLocation.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
No, this would be a waste of money for a flip. Focus on cosmetics.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 30, 2013
Depends on the prioe range of the house you're going to sell. Unless you're in a price range of $750,000 or more I'd suggest that this would be a waste of your money.
I know a sprinkler system is a BIG plus in California!

With a flip you want to sale fast, right?

So, with that in mind why not do everything within your budget to make the home more attractive?

Just make sure you stay within your budget.

Much Success to You!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
I find it interesting to see how different our markets are. Real estate is a LOCAL commoditiy to be sure. When Bill suggests a $400k house should have high end features, I have to grin. Here in Key West, where the average sale price on the market is $640k, $400 is a bargain, low to mid range home, and a "$75k fixer upper" is unheard of! Of course, that can make the job of an agent even tougher when you get folks from out of town who want to buy a beautiful retirement home with their $200k life savings and find that won't even get them a decent condo.
If I'm buying a $400,000 home it better have a sprinkler system! On the other hand if the home is a $75,000 "fixer upper" I wouldn't expect this option.

A very wise person once told me to NEVER spend money on a home that you planned on selling and couldn't get a return on the money you invested. Keep it simple and be smart!

Bruce is 100% right.

Buy curb appeal before you buy a sprinkler system and you are talking about a very small segment of the GA market, ain't ya?

Give us some Neighborhood questions Trulia Atlanta, not these distant, boring questions all the time.
Web Reference: Http://intowninsider.com
In a couple of years it will be required of all new home builders to install sprinklers in new homes but this is not yet the case. A sprinkler system is not cheap and in a flip you want to go in, make improvements and upgrades but still be able to walk away with making a profit. I just can't see installing a sprinkler system as being perceived as a worthwhile investment at this time. Unless, of course, if it is a condo or townhome - then yes absolutely install a system if one does not already exist.