Pswelge, Home Seller in Pepperell, MA

Is a home in Massachusetts with propane heating more attractive to buyers than oil heating.?

Asked by Pswelge, Pepperell, MA Tue May 4, 2010

Answers

5

In the Pepperell area, I find that buyers prefer oil (or gas) vs. propane. Most object to the above ground tank. I'm also licensed in NH and in that area propane is much more prevalent especially in new construction. The tanks are typically buried. MA purchasers still baulk at propane but right over the line in NH it's quite acceptable. In my 20+ years of selling real estate, the typical buyer does not compare BTU rates and I agree with Elizabeth that people tend to gravitate to what they're used to. Hope that helps.

Catherine Condon, Broker MA & NH
Integrity Residential Brokerage
138 Main St., Pepperell, MA 01463
Web Reference: http://www.integrity-rb.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 4, 2010
I feel that oil or gas are considered more traditional. Storage of the propane tank can be an issue, but I do see more and more propane systems going in.
And, if there is a a lot of land, the propane tank is not intrusive. It can be landscaped, hidden behind bushes. My brother has a propane tank; no problem.
Buyers' preference - if they have one - for heating fuel source tends to be based on what they're accustomed to. If they grew up with oil than oil probably makes sense to them, ditto for propane. If they're not accustomed to that type of heating fuel than they may have some reservations.

I think New England has by far the highest percentage of homes heated by oil so if buyers are from elsewhere it may be new to them. Propane is also not common in many areas. If it is often seen where you are than a local buyer, or a buyer who has looked at a lot of homes heated by propane would probably be ok with it.

On a side note - As someone who's owned a condo with electric heat and sold homes heated with an electric heat pump I can vouch for electric heat being much more reasonable in cost than many people think. It's also very clean.

Prices for any fuel vary year to year so I usually caution buyers about deciding on a "best fuel source" based only in price since things could easily change.
The real question is how much does oil cost per BTU compared to propane.

Either system requires you have a truck back up and fill your tank. Is one cheaper than the other? The only other issue is you have an ugly propane tank outside instead of an oil tank hidden inside somewhere.

I would not think it would make a lot of difference. Electric heat, now THAT is an expensive heat source.