Home Selling in Hamtramck>Question Details

Joshsnana, Home Seller in Hamtramck, MI

Is a city inspection required to sell a home in Hamtramck?

Asked by Joshsnana, Hamtramck, MI Thu Jun 4, 2009

I am interested in selling my home. My neighbor has approached me about buying the house despite the fact it needs a new roof. In fact he has said he would prefer to make his own repairs. (It needs gutters, roof and work on the garage, plus work inside). A friend told me it must be brought up to code before I can sell it.

I just want to get a clear idea of what I need to do before I can try to sell it. If it needs an inspection first, I need to let my neighbor know it will be some time before I can sell.

Thanks for your help!
Leilani

Answers

3
The city building inspector will inspect the house, and the purchaser will have 6 months to bring it up to code. The purchaser will have to sign the city inspection acknowledging this at the closing.

The building inspector only inspects the outside of the house.
city of Hamtramck does not require inspection.
To protect yourself you can ask for the inspection. If it would be me, I would ask for a quote to replace a roof
and use this price to negotiate. Ex.: seller wants $30,000, roof = $3800, lower the price to 26,000 or ask the seller to repair. House do not sell that easy in Hamtramck, so you have an age. USE IT!!!!
Pro inspection cost about $350. It is a money well invested, if you have never bought a house before.

Renata,
looking out for you!
Joshsnana,

I am glad you are here!

I have no clue why the city would require you to have an inspection to sell your home, unless you had pulled permits to complete work or make improvements. I will check into this for you, you may also want to contact the city yourself. http://www.hamtramck.us/services/pages/building.php

I always recommend the buyer have a contractor inspection to protect themselves and their investment before a purchase but Im not sure what that would have to do with the city.

Now your neighbor has approached you about buying the home, do they plan on paying cash? or financing the home? You can contact me confidentially through the link in the upper right of my webpage and I can give you complete advice and where to go next.

Best Wishes

Jeremy Sulak
Web Reference: http://myhomemichigan.com