Home Selling in Chicago>Question Details

Michelle Chi…, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL

Is Uptown back on the upswing? Michelle Chicago

Asked by Michelle Chicago, Chicago, IL Sat Mar 22, 2014

Prudential Rubloff agent - http://www.michellechicago.com

Answers

7
I do not mean to triviallize the question but moving north we have:

Downtown, LP, LakeView, Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park.

The proximity to the Lake, access to LSD and access to EL & Bus Lines is just as good in Uptown, Edgewater and Rogers Park, except ofcourse they are further away from the Loop. Each community has its own mini business districts as well. Especially w/ Uptown I believe value opportunities exist and many young professionals seeking reasonable rents and/or purchases are headed here.
How can it not come back.. its always going to have the city mix but and the location is perfect and the new alderman has much less tolerance for the break bad folk.. and one of the notorious problem buildings on Lawrence is being converted from a lawless rental into something more civilized ,
Prices and activity say yes. This is a neighborhood with excellent transportation, Lake access, shopping and favorable pricing compared to the adjacent Lakeview, Ravenswood and Andersonville neighborhoods.
Just did a blog post on the hot neighborhoods for condos and Uptown showed up in the data: http://www.chicagonow.com/getting-real/2014/03/chicagos-hott…
Web Reference: http://lucidrealty.com
This is like Ground Hog Day, the movie. My brother asked me that question in 1983. It always is on the upswing it seems. To me Uptown is like Manic Depression, without the fun mania part. Go straight to depression. If you can make money there cool. But I wouldn't want to live there. I would be wary of any answer about any upswing in Uptown because the answers keep repeating themselves every year and nothing ever seems to change.
I won't be running for alderman in that area by the way. lol.
In my opinion always has been a hot area , and now even more ...
Take a look a the social night bars restaurants and proximity with the lake
Michelle,

In my opinion uptown is back on the upswing. You have the Sonic going in on Wilson and Kenmore. It is just a matter of time before the luxury highrise rentals by JDL are approved on the Maryville property located on Clarendon and Montrose. Ah and lets not forget the Wilson stop renovations which starts this spring.

So yes I would say uptown is on the upswing and while people look at the negatives they forget how Old Town, Pars of Lincoln Park, and Lakeview were back in the day and it seemed people were more willing to move into those area when they were blighted with problems that could be resolved with verve.