alyflanz, Home Seller in Hempstead, NY

Interested buyer's realtor is not returning our listing agent's phone call?

Asked by alyflanz, Hempstead, NY Thu Aug 1, 2013

Our home has been on the market the past few mths. This past Saturday we had another showing (young couple w/ their realtor). Their realtor emailed our realtor the following morning that they're "very" interested & may make an offer. 5 days later their realtor has yet to return a call to our realtor who is simply trying to follow up. If she took the time to provide such detailed feedback so quickly, why not the courtesy of at least a call back with some sort of update?

Answers

8
I feel that isn't very professional not to at least call your agent back. I think they don't have an answer so they don't want to take the time to make the call??? It's not a good idea to get a sellers hopes up. Better to wait until they actually make the offer I feel.
Good luck with your home sale!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 1, 2013
It's not uncommon to have a buyer's agent tell a listing agent their clients may make an offer and then disappear. Most often, when they don't answer the phone, is a combination at their own frustration that a contract isn't being written and embarrassment over misreading their clients intentions.

There's no question, the courteous thing for the buyers' agent to do would be to at least send an e-mail, a text, or a carrier pigeon to your agent with an update. But courtesy isn't a given in this business.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 1, 2013
You cannot really go by that one insignificant email. Listing agents typically follow up with the agents who show their listings and sometimes they get misleading feedback. It's possible that these people weren't interested to begin with and the agent decided to say they might make an offer. Maybe they changed their minds? Nothing is serious enough for you unless you have an actual offer. Sorry!

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
STERLING NATIONAL BANK
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
jmeneses@snb.com
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(516) 740-4478 Office
(516) 918-5383 Fax
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 1, 2013
There could be any number of reasons why your agent has not heard back:
* They've changed their minds
* They've purchased something else
* They're on vacation
* Someone is sick (the buyer, or the agent)
* Maybe someone has had a baby?
* They're talking to their lender.

Yes, they should call you back... it's a lack of courtesy... but don't obsess about it... if they have something to tell you (an offer), you can rest assured they'll find you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 1, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Good question.....Of course my immediate response would be the deal is a "no go". I'm sure the buyer's agent wants to make a deal as much as you and your agent. Have your agent call her office, cell, text, email. Other than that you can ask your agent to contact her managing broker and ask if the agent is dead, alive, on vaca???? Going to her broker should get quick results.

The buyer may have found another home (and are waiting to see if they get the price they want), lost their financing, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 1, 2013
Could be for a variety of reasons, such as buyers' change of mind, financing issues, buyer not returning their agent's call, etc.
Your home is priced incorrectly. Be honest with yourself and your Realtor(R) and price your home correctly. You'll have an offer by Monday. Stay magical and climb the Trulia Wishing Tree! Have you been up my wishing tree? Its where I come to think and dream....
Web Reference: http://kribzoo.com
A "few months" in this Market is an eternity!
You are anxious because you haven't gotten any bites.
Possibly, (probably), the reason for both is that your need to do a new CMA and re-evaluate your LISTING PRICE.
Is this what your Realtor has been telling you?
We already lowered our price. We're willing to except offers within a certain price range that both my husband & I, and are realtor think are very fair. We did have buyers who were very interested about a mth & 1/2 ago, but their financing fell through. Could be the same issue here? I guess we'll find out eventually. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Flag Thu Aug 1, 2013