Elysekalani, Other/Just Looking in Philadelphia, PA

In 19131, what % of value is customary to spend on updating before putting a house on the market?

Asked by Elysekalani, Philadelphia, PA Sun Jun 19, 2011

Answers

4
Updating is like make up. Underneath is the evidence of age and imperfections that they are covering up.
Selling ones appearance as to impress others has indeed became a national trend.
Now I will speak for myself without attempting to offend ladies over 25. I am personally impressed by cleanliness, individualism above all being plain and natural with little surprises of body engineering.
A home that has become of certain age develops a personality just like a good shoe. It is comfortable for those that live in it. This rush to alter their homes on the advice of decorators to become completive with an other house down the street is as foolish as the woman who is sixty and wants to look 25.
Now here is the choice all those that believe that spending money for the wrong reasons is the right way to go think for a moment . If you reduced the price of your home in the first place what you were planning to spend to improve it . I have more confidence in letting the buyer see your house just the way it is and allow them to update it if necessary at their own expense and taste. A happy home sells that shows that it was lived in than decorated to sell and covered up with cheap camouflage of a face lift.
My mother applies the best logic to updating and over decorating . You cannot turn a Volks Wagon into a Cadillac.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
To be honest there is no magic %. It is not a simple answer, the variables are how much of the houses needs updates and what price point are you trying to hit. So can't answer without seeing your property. I am an architect and a realtor. This gives me a super eye and ability to help determine the prefect balance. I live in the 19151 zip, so if you wish for me to take a look at your house I could easily do so.

Getting input on what to update is more important than an exact %. Realtors know what people are looking for and will give you great advice on where to spend money or if you even need to spend any money.

Scott Maritzer
Prudential Fox & Roach
The Sivel Group
Email: scott.maritzer@prufoxroach.com
Your question is very vague. An agent would need to see your home and determine your goals. Sometimes its a good idea to do improvements and sometimes its a waste of time and money. 19131 Is Wynnfield and West Philadelphia, the price ranges are different. Please don't be intimidated to give an agent a call. You will get accurate information speaking to someone directly. Its not like walking on a car dealership. Please feel free to give me a call I will be more than willing to answer all your questions.

Yve Banks
267-975-0372
Hi Elysekalani,

There are no rules. But you definitely want to promote nice curb appeal ... gardening & painting for example.

How much you spend on interior items really depends on the whole package, and on the number and value of comparable sales in the vicinity.

But for sure, eliminate clutter, reorganize furniture, and brighten it up where ever you can.

A decor refreshed with a modern paint palette can be very helpful and not hurt your budget.

A skilled realtor can advise you on what items to move to the top of your list for immediate action.

Good Luck.

Charles Balducci 215.531.2000
cbalducci@cbpref.com