Deb Thomas, Home Buyer in Seward, AK

In todays market, how long can I expect it to take to sell my house in Piedmont South Dakota, just an estimate, could it take more than a year?

Asked by Deb Thomas, Seward, AK Thu Nov 4, 2010

I know it's probably tough to estimate without seeing the property, but how bad is todays market? I have 20 acres, a three br, 2 bath split foyer in Piedmont South Dakota. I need to sell it within a year without asking much less than its worth, what are my chances?

Answers

4
I would interview 3 agents who are actively selling in the area. Ask if they are full time Realtors. Get a market analysis from each of them showing what has recently sold similar to yours. In choosing your agent, go with your gut feeling about the one you most connect with. Most important for you is to have your home in absolutely tip top condition. Ask a couple of friends to walk through your home as if they were buyers considering your property. Listen to their suggestions and do not take offense. In staging your home which is so important, clutter needs to be removed. Your home needs to be clean at all times. If you have animals, yards need to be cleaned as well as kitty litter boxes which should be in an out-of-the-way location. Remove most personal items including tons of pictures of your family. Remove any fake plants and replace with live ones. Touch up paint, especially the front door and entry. First impressions are so important. Polish woodwork and kitchen cabinets. Remove wash rags and store under the kitchen sink. Bathrooms should be immaculate! Hide any plungers :). Buy fresh towels to hang and fold them nicely. If the yard needs pruning and leaves removed, do so. This will put your home at the very top of the list ahead of most others. Good luck!
Hello Deb,

Experience shows, it all depends on where the property is. I have recently sold a home in one of the housing developments in Piedmont that had been on the market for over a year. I would love to do some research for you and send an email to you that will give you more information specific to your needs. Once you get that information, you can make an educated decision. My email is lonniek at knology.net Let me know the address and I can narrow down the information for accuracy. I'm located out of Spearfish. Thanks,
Hi Deb, yes, a local agent will be able to provide you a good estimate. What you are looking for is the market absorption rate, ie time to sell. It is an easy calculation - take the total number of active listings in your community, your price point, your type of property - as fine a cut as you want to make and have the data to support and divide by the number that have gone under contract in the last 30 days - the result, expressed in months will give your estimate.

Good luck to you!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Talk to a local agent and see if they can help you out with getting some idea of DOM or days on market. They should be able to pull up some compatible sales to see how long it took to sell similar houses and how much they got.