Kevin Nagel, Both Buyer and Seller in Brandon, SD

In this slow market, is hiring a professional to stage our home when it comes time to sell advised?

Asked by Kevin Nagel, Brandon, SD Wed Sep 15, 2010

Answers

20
Gail Strom’s answer
Staging is extremely important in my opinion. Buyers typically buy on emotion and when a house looks like something out of a magazine (at least at some level), buyers will much more easily fall in love with the house and that's what we want when offering a house for sale! Part of my listing service includes a professional stager and professional photographer for this very reason. Every home has potential to shine!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 24, 2013
Staging can add a lot to your home. A professional stager can set the mood for your buyers, accentuate the positive features of your house and downplay any negatives. Staging does sell houses faster. You do not have to pay a lot and many stagers will use the furniture or accessories that you already have in a rearranged way to show your house better. Before you hire one, interview several stagers. Your agent may also be able to recommend one that they have had success with before.

You may also choose to stage your own house. There are tips for staging house in this link http://www.globalspan.net/staging.htm . The trick is to look at your house as a buyer would. That means make any repairs needed, clean until it sparkles and declutter without stripping the house of personality. Think Pottery Barn. Clean, modern, warm yet neutral. You want to appeal to the largest pool of buyers possible and even rethinking how you present your house can mean a faster sale. It also may be helpful to ask your friends or neighbors to walk through your house and write down the any negative things that they notice. Even something simple like a missing switch plate can put buyers off and make them less likely to buy. Staging is great and it helped me sell my house. I recommend it.
If you hire the right agent to help you market your home they will help you determine whether or not a staging professional would be money well spent. If the agent will pay for a professional stager to "stage" your home don't have much to lose. I think that many agents don't recommend a stager because they don't want to pay for one and they don't want you the seller to have even more out of pocket expenses. When an agent is already charging a lot of money to you the seller if they sell your home they hesitate to propose you spend even more money on a stager. In most cases, I think a good and affordable stager is money well spent, whether it out of your pocket or out of your Realtor's pocket.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 22, 2010
Do not hesitate to seek the services of a professional home stager. If staging a home is not common in your area, that is even more reason to hire a professional. They can make your home stand out for all the right reasons! http://www.bradlachersellshomes.com/
I see a lot of value in staging! Also, you have options, the professional can simply stage the home with your personal items (moving things around to create better flow) or rent furniture and items. Best of luck to you!
I believe that staging a home is most important. In many cases, if you hire a sharp agent, the agent can help you stage a home. I do it all the time and feel it is an important aspect of my job!
Kevin,

You would be shocked if you saw what a difference it makes to stage your home to sell. In my opinion it's worth every penny spent. It will sell faster and for more money than if it's not staged. I usually recommend paying for a staging consultation to start with. A professional stager will examine your home and generate a report for you with their recommendations. That way you can do some or all of the staging by simply following their recommendations and not have to pay a lot for the advice. If you want more help or need accessories brought in, then you can hire them to do the additional work.

Kevin,
You have received some excellent advice regarding staging. It really is worthwhile to do the upfront work to make your home show as well as possible.

As I've said elsewhere on this Forum, "Buyers buy with their eyes." Since most home Buyers today start their search on the Internet, staging your home will enhance the photos that the potential Buyers for your home will ultimately see.

Of course, keeping your home in "staged condition", or close to it, for all showings is important as well. (And, yes, I know it's a lot of work, but having a home that shows beautifully will really make your home stand out from the rest.)

Three of the most basic, and important, steps in staging your home are things you can do yourself: 1) Cleaning, 2) Deodorizing, and 3) Decluttering. Everything else is like icing on the cake--Nice, but not as critical.

Kevin, you may also want to read my blog article, referenced below, on "Ten Inexpensive Things Home Stagers Do To Get a Home Sold." Good luck with your home sale.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
(386) 314-1149
Watson Realty Corp.
Kevin - I agree with the others here that staging can make a big difference. Buying a home involves an emotional connection with the property. A professional home stager knows how to best elicit that response.

My only caution is that many agents try to wear too many hats and consider themselves not only the real estate expert but an expert on staging and photography as well. Our team advocates being experts on real estate and hiring a professional stager and photographer. We pay for both of them out of our pocket as a part of our marketing strategy to sell your home faster and for more money. You might want to look for an agent that does the same.

Bill Wallace, RE/MAX Results, Apple Valley, MN
Yes, if it is something you can afford. The houses that look the best are going to sell first. You want your house to look like a model home. If you are unable to do this yourself then hire a professional. There are many houses for sale and the buyers have many to pick from make yours on the top of their list.
In this discriminating Buyer's Market, a listing must be as decluttered and well-maintained as possible to attract buyer attention. You do not necessarily have to hire a Home Stager for your property tranformation. Contact your local Board of Realtors to get the name of a realtor in your area who has obtained their staging designation. As an example, I have secured an Accredited Home Staging designation and do give advise to clients in getting their homes prepared for showings, using their own furniture and accessories for FREE. The pictures taken by your realtor appear on many websites for the world to see, therefore they should also be the best quality, digital photos. This simple process, if followed by a seller, who is really serious about selling their home, will bring a sales contract in the least amount of time and move me, the agent, rapidly along to the next tranaction. (Janet Williams, Exit Platinum Plus Realty, Camp Hill, PA)
Kevin,

Is your real question "Is it worth what I pay for professional staging?" A professional staging can be the difference between no interest and a quick sale. If you're concerned about the cost of staging, consider hiring a professional Realtor who offers staging services gratis to their Sellers.

All of us, regardless of how excellent our housekeeping skills. color choices, and tastes in furnishings may be can use the direction of a professional who has an unjaded eye when viewing our home and belongings. Many of the stagings for our clients have been met with astonished reactions: "I had no idea our house could look like this", "wow - amazing". Hopefully, the Buyers will be mouthing the same words as they see the property first-hand, in pictures, or in video.

Yes - go for the staging. You won't regret it.
-Dan
Staging a home works. Make sure you have lots of high quality photos taken to properly market the result on the MLS, Realtor.com, Trulia, Zillow, etc.
In any market the house that shows the best, and id priced correctly will sell faster, and for more money than homes that do not.
Eight seconds. That's all it takes for most buyers to form a first opinion of your home. It's not long, so you need to make it count. Ideally, your home will impress and motivate a buyer to swiftly make an offer before it's gone from the market. Home staging can help highlight your home's best features, making it appeal to buyers senses and emotions. In this saturated market, making your home stand out in the best light will certainly reduce days on market and increase appeal to buyers. Good luck in your sale and in your move!
I would say 9 times out of 10 a staged home will leave a more favorable impression than an unstaged property. Proper staging allows the buyer to visualize usage of the space. Even small touches added to the kitchen and bathroom can be key in differentiating your listing from all of the others in a heavily saturated market place. G'luck!

Kimberly Dixon
Kimberly Lane Properties
Hello Kevin,

I run a real estate company in and we stage every house we sell. We have noticed a huge decrease in the days a home is on the market from a non-staged to a staged home. I don't hire a professional company to stage my homes. We purchase items for the entryway, kitchen, and both bathrooms only. The rest of the home is either empty of cleaned out as much as possible. You should focus on staging the kitchen with warm earth tones like reds and browns. The bathrooms should be clean sterile colors like whites, blues, and greens. Good luck!
Hi Kevin,
It is a proven fact that a professionally staged home sells quicker and for more money. I have had much success with a company that I use called Creative Staging. The objective is to have your home in perfect condition with great curb appeal.

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.com
If you are using a good real estate agent, they will be able to provide you with all the information you need on how to stage your home properly and how to make sure it is showing as best as it can.
I think you will always find that a nicely staged home will show better in any market. Buyers have a lot of choices and making your home stand out is more important than ever to get a sale.
Web Reference: http://www.lennyfrolov.com