Home Selling in Anchorage>Question Details

Mom, Home Buyer in Augusta, GA

In military, sold my home and moved with realtor doing closing. Buyer didn't put utilities in their name , do I have any recourse?

Asked by Mom, Augusta, GA Mon Mar 4, 2013

Answers

2
Jim Gribbin’s answer
You should have scheduled the utilities to be turned off as of the day of closing. It is the Buyer's resposibility to schedule utilities to be turned on as of that same date.

The utilities are not in the Realtor's name and we really can't have utilities turned on or off without written authorization from the client (you). The utilitiy companies generally ask for a copy of that written authorization before they will let us do that sort of thing and are even asking for Notarized signatures on requests we Realtors put in lately. The thing to do now, is for you to have the utilies turned off.

As far as collecting for utilities you've accidently paid on the Buyer's behalf, I doubt it would be worth the legal hassles involved. You could always ask the Buyers though.
I am not certain if I fully understand your question, but if you are saying that you have received utility bills because the buyer of your home did not put the utilities in their name after they took ownership, you may have recourse against the buyer's and/or your Realtor. I would need to better understand the timing and circumstances to provide a better/the best course of action for you.
Thank you for replying so fast. I started driving to lower 48 on 1/18/2013. My realtor closed the house for me on 1/22/2013. Finally, all my bills have caught up with me and the new owner didn't put the utilities in their name till late February. I did call all the utilities 2-3 times before closing but they kept saying they couldn't do anything till house closed because the closing date had changed twice. I am stuck now paying out hundreds of dollars for utilities I didn't use and not sure what my recourse is.
Flag Mon Mar 4, 2013