Bob Pace, Real Estate Pro in Mattituck, NY

In Suffolk County NY(maybe all NY state?)65% of RE taxes go to the schools.Is that common in other areas?

Asked by Bob Pace, Mattituck, NY Thu Jul 12, 2007

OI like the question but want to point out that in New York there are two items that must be pointed out before looking at property taxes, First we have the star program which discounts some of the property tax burden on school taxes for your primary residence this dicount can be as little as $400, but can almost cover the whole school tax for seniors with lower and limited incomes, easing this burden on homeowners, secondarily you must also recognize the quality of our schools in upstate near Buffalo, I am constantly dealing with customers moving in who are amazed at the quality of our school districts but secondarily dealing with many a customer moving out who has compared schools when moving out of the area, and instead of paying some extra in property taxes is paying much more to send their children to a private school elsewhere, I certainly think taxes are to high particularly on the property owner but still always point out that you must look at both the real costs after star and the quality for the dollars, if you are looking in New York State.
Web Reference:
I will email you a breakdown of exactly WHERE each dollar goes... $$$ going to schools is OK... that is what makes an area desireable... GREAT SCHOOLS. I'll call ya later