Home Selling in Atlanta>Question Details

Trulia Atlan…, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

If you take selling advice from an agent, is it bad form to not hire them?

Asked by Trulia Atlanta, Atlanta, GA Tue Apr 9, 2013

Answers

6
Just as with attorney's most agent's offer free initial consultation. Taking advice from an agent does not create an obligation to hire the agent. Selling real estate can be compared to riding a bicycle. Lance Armstrong can tell you how ride a bicycle, can even provide strategy for races. No matter how much advice he provided, it would not mean you would be proficient and skilled at riding a bike if you never rode one before, it would not help you win a race if you had never raced before.

The most important advice an agent should have given you was to get professional representation. The notion the lawyer who represent himself/herself has a fool for a client, so to the homeowner who seeks to represent himself/herself will be making poor decisions, lack third party detachment, and likely net less and take longer than had a professional been employed.

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
An Atlanta Real Estate Expert Serving Clients Since 1979
CRS, CRB, ABR, MSRE, CDPE, CIAS, e-PRO, ESQ
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Investment Agent Specialist
203K Certified Specialist
Attorney
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
bruce@locationlocationlocation.com
http://www.LocationLocationLocation.com
The Linked In REALTOR
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bruceailion
Not necessarily, it depends on what expectations were set up front, the same goes for any possible relationship. I've had this happen to me and it does affect me because I care. Especially when you find out they went with the other agent because they were willing to over price the listing.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Did the advice result from research or was the informaton shared from the agent's great reseviour of wisdom.
For the former, you have created a obligation.
For the latter you have not.
-
Now, when you were chating with the agent and stated, "I'm thinking of selling my home and have a question I'd like to run by you." EXACTLY how do you think the agent interpreted that conversation?
-
I'll answer that for you.
The agent recognized a business opportuntiy, an opportunity to help a friend sell their home. It would not only be BAD FORM but hopefully BAD KARMA should you not FORMERLY interview this agent along with others regarding selling your home.
-
Of course there is another scenario. You may be one of those who wants everything FREE. You have NO INTENTION of being in good form or doing the right thing. For these, there is always Trulia and Zillow from which they can maintain their form and create obligation to no one. They also get 'selling advise' and values that are close to worthless.
-
So enlighten us, how did you position your 'I need advice' soliciation?

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Assoicate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Absolutely not. I give advice to friends all of the time when it comes to selling their home, but I always tell them to shop around. Just because my advice may be sound, it doesn't mean they wont find a better fit for their particular home.

Real estate agents are not all built equal. Some specialize in new development, some specialize in rentals, etc and so forth. I advice anybody who is about to list a home to talk with at least 3 different agents/brokers before they make a decision.

You may very well likely choose to use the agent you first talked with already, but when it comes to your biggest investment, you should really make sure you are 100% confident you have the right person for the job.

Would love to help discuss any questions you might have!

Maximillian Corwell
Maximillian Corwell & Associates
Keller Williams Atlanta Midtown

404-216-4816
max@corwellfinehomes.com

Lead HGTV consultant for the hit show "Property Virgins"
Well, here is my personal opinion.... If you are a home owner and you connect with a Realtor and that particular Realtor puts in a lot of work and presents you with a lot of details and advice, how to price, how to prepare the home etc. etc., you get time, expertise and advice....
Yes in my opinion you then should hire that Realtor, as long as you feel that you will be in good hands
and that the Realtor and you have a great rapport....

Otherwise you would have an experienced Professional work on your behalf for F R E E E

You certainly would never expect that from your family physician, your dentist, your attorney, not even
from your painter, electrician, landscaper etc., why would you think that it would be ok for a professional experienced Real Estate Agent. Should you hire the best one for YOU, of course, just as you select your attorney etc.
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties ---- EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Depends on the quality of the advice, doesn't it?

There is no certain "bad" form, however "hire slowly, fire quickly" always seems to make sense to me...

And, it's a two way street - it's not considered "bad form" when a seller and I do not see eye to eye on marketing and listing of a property, and then I tell them that I am not interested in being their agent.

Bad form is rampant in our business, it's rampant in America, however in the context of your question - no because it depends on the quality of the advice.

Sellers should not ever feel obligated to hire someone if they are not 100% comfortable with that person and their team.