Home Selling in Santa Ana>Question Details

Jay Taylor, Other/Just Looking in Santa Ana, CA

If someone wishes to sell off his/her property, what precautions to take?

Asked by Jay Taylor, Santa Ana, CA Thu Aug 1, 2013

Answers

7
Dear Jay,

I agreed all advised from my colleagues are valuable .. also now the day as safety practice most of Realtors will have buyers prequalified before take them out to show properties .. We know at least their back ground .. where they live, who they work, are they really a sincere buyers or just a LOOKKIELOO and how worthy they are with their credit .. Short Word .. WE KNOW THEM WELL .

What about you ??? Would you let unknown strangers from the street walk in to your homes without knowing nothing about them .. I'm Surely NOT !!!

Vinny Tran & Nancy Do
Mr. "Little Saigon" & Associates
Web Reference: http://www.vinnytran.com
Thank you so much for this advice, this is something even I fear because all of us tend to be a little desperate in selling and whoever comes up and introduces us as a prospective buyer we show them the property which can be dangerous sometimes. But what is the solution for this? What if the buyer is someone who is here to get some internal information about your property and then attack you at some point of time?
Flag Mon May 19, 2014
There are so many reasons not to sell on your own. Realtors have errors and omissions insurance which is critical when problems arise. You would not have this protection and leave yourself exposed. Home buyers can come back to you for quite a while after the sale. MY ADVISE is to work with a referred agent. Please let me know if you would like some help with referrals.
Jay,

One of the biggest mistakes I see seller's make is listing their home with someone who really does not work their area. It is always best to work with a local Realtor who can guide you through the process but also know has a track record in your neighborhood.

Phil
It sounds like you are talking about selling it yourself, which I don't recommend for lots of reasons - here is a blog I wrote on the subject: http://king-realtygroup.com/open-letter-to-sellers.aspx

If you insist on doing this yourself, the main thing you need to do is provide all the required disclosures. A real estate attorney could probably provide that service for you, but invariably you will end up with less money than if you hired a pro to represent you because there is no way you will reach the number of buyers on your own and buyers will discount the commission anyway.
Jay,

California is very litigious you want to make sure you have all the correct seller disclosures about the property. During marketing the home you need to make sure to follow certain rules about what you can and can't say about the area and property. Once a buyer is found and an offer is written, typically by another Realtor then the fun begins. Disclosures to deliver, Inspections to be done, more negotiations many times over items that have been discovered, funds need to be received and if necessary the HOA information and transfer documents have to be delivered. All this and more need to go to the buyer for their review and acceptance during their inspection time. There are time deadlines for these actions that both the seller and buyer work with-in. Any seller wants to make sure they provide all the items they should and have the buyer sign off or waive these items to avoid legal action later.

A Realtor can help guide sellers through these during the marketing and negotiating a sale to get to escrow. An escrow company also requires certain documents but they are a neutral party so the burden really is on the Realtor and seller to make sure they disclose everything they should.

Good luck with your sale or purchase,

Brian Wilson, Realtor
949-933-0852
DRE # 01321478
Hello Jay,

If you are considering selling property you have chosen the right time. Low inventory and high demand are fueling a seller's market.

As for as precautions, I suggest you list your home with a realtor you can trust, and believe to be a good fit for you.

I like to have my sellers do a pre listing inspection. This is optional , BUT it can give you a clear idea of the condition of your home. It will also aid you and your agent in pricing your home right.

Pre listing inspections also give you an idea of what repairs you may be willing and able to make prior to putting the home on the market.

If you price your home right, and work with a diligent agent, you will be ok.

If you would like a no cost ,no obligation market evaluation of your home or have further questions please contact me directly at 714-293-1151

Much Success to You!!!
Kawain Payne, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
Hi there Jay,
The person needs to protect him/herself in the transaction, and the best way is to consult with a Realtor,
I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have and show you how the process works.

Thank you, (949)232-4002