Home Selling in Las Vegas>Question Details

Trulia Las V…, Other/Just Looking in Las Vegas, NV

If one has met with an agent and took her advice on selling their home, is it considered poor form to then not use her?

Asked by Trulia Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV Mon Mar 25, 2013

Answers

11
Hi ,
It would be proper business etiquette to understand what you want to accomplish prior to interviewing agents . Its always a good idea to respect people's time . So before you meet with an agent you should know what you want and expect and ask them some questions over the phone first . Agents who just set an appointment to try and get a listing do invest some time preparing for an appointment . They spend an hour or two doing a comParative market analysis and maybe order a property profile , they invest time and dollars to put gas in their car and drive to your home too . The right thing to do would be to let them know up front that you are interviewing a few Realtors first and then will decide . That way they can choose weather or not hey want to invest that time . Also knowing what you are looking for in a Realtor upfront will help you choose which ones you actually want to interview with . Remember that not all situations are the same and mostly you want to find someone who understands what is important to YOU . It doesn't really matter about how big their company is or how big their brand is or how fancy their marketing piece looks its about the experience and knowledge they have and if they can understand YOUR needs , are a strong negotiator and can coomunicate with you . You are the boss . Just respect people's time . I hope that helps .
f the Agent did a great job, and provided the home owner with a lot of good advice and suggestions and a good market evaluation for the home, I would think that the honesty and appreciation on the part of the homeowner will lead to hiring this particular Realtor.... After all Realtors really can NOT work for free, or pass out advice and professional expertise without pay!

Having that said, as the homeowner you should be comfortable with the Realtor, trust the presentation and expertise, and the already given advice....

It is certainly unfair, if not a little unethical, if one uses the expertise of a professional, and then for example give the listing for any reason to another agent, or sell by owner, unless having discussed
that possibility with the Realtor in question.

You know you would not expect a doctor to see you and not getting paid, or your dentist or your attorney for that matter.... I always think though the best way to judge the situation and feel comfortable with one's decision and action is BY THINKING HOW WOULD I FELL IF I WERE ON THE OTHER SIDE, look at it from the Realtor's side and I am sure you will make the best decision
possible.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties -----EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 25, 2013
If you had your own business and provided quality advice to potential clients in order to help them, how would you feel if they took your free advice and gave their business to some one else without giving you the opportunity to show them what you could do for them? Would you think that to be proper behavior after all had you not advised them on what to do they would not be doing it! Turn-a-round is fairplay. If their advise was good enough for you to act on should they not be offered a chance to help you with whatever your issues are? Why did you seek their advice if you had no intentions of using their services? Or were you just out there mis-using and abusing the agent and their time? We must treat one another as we would want to be treated.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 25, 2013
Not sure about the "poor form" issue but sellers normally interview multiple agents before making their final decision on who to list with. It's usually good that this is mentioned in the interview so agents know there are other considerations.

Where many sellers fall short is they don't require a written account of the agent's "comprehensive marketing plan" for selling your home. This should be an account of all activities the seller can count on by both the agent and their agency in selling the home. It's a valuable tool because it provides a road map for both the agent and seller that can be followed and checked. It can be useful in determining what the shortfalls are, should this be the case.

So unless you promised the agent you would list with her, in my opinion, you have made no commitment.

Best wishes,

You're certainly under no obligation to use that agent, but considering how much more advice you are going to need on a transaction, I can't help but wonder why you wouldn't want to keep working with someone who has already seemed to impress you! I hope you're not going to call her about which offer to accept after you sign up with someone else!
This is a question that only you can answer. First, I am "assuming" you met with this agent to discuss possibly listing your home? If you did not feel "comfortable" with her, then chances are the feelings were mutual. Noone has to "List" with someone they don't feel a connection with. I suggest you use your "gut" feeling and if she rubbed you the wrong way, move on and thank her very gracefully for her time.

I hope I have answered your question. Good luck. Becky Zisk
It doesn't seem fair, but I'm sure it doesn't happen all that often.
Every client have a right to choose the right agent. If you are an agent, you have to understand different personality types, to make your listing presentation that fit on personality type of seller., how to grab his attention, what is most importnat to him, time frame, your marketing efforts, his needs and lot of more. So it is agent problem, that seller did not list with him, it is not poor form.
I don't understand your comment " took her advice"..please colaberate moor and explain why you decide not to use her services?

In my opinion, every seller should interview at least three agents before deciding on the right agent to list their home.

We all have different needs and exceptions and its important to work with an agent that you feel comfortable with and think that he or she will stay in contact with you on a weekly basis and look after your interest.
It is very important that a sellers should make their homework before interviewing agents and what they are looking for. Prepare a list of questions like experience, specialties, knowledge of area, professionalism, listing presentation, and etc. Ask questions and for marketing plan. Also, in today's GLOBAL WORLD, hiring an agent that speaks moore than one language and can market your property to International buyers outside the U.S is important

My philosophy in life is " Treat others the way you want to be treated". It seems to me that you did like the agent's advice and work, but for some reason you decided not to hire her ..?

Rena Levy
" Bringing the world to you.."
Broker/Associate
Certified International Property Specialist (CIPS)
Realty Executives International
702-612-7099 direct
cvegashomes@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.cvegashomes.com
Work with the person that meets your needs and you feel comfortable with. If you have anymore questions please feel free to contact me I am here to help.

Stephen Messner
messnersj@gmail.com
702-882-1235
I think this a test of one's ability to think clearly - the agent gave you the good advice, so you're going to take that advice and use it, but hire another agent who didn't have good enough advice for you to use . . . and then, take their advice from here on out?