Home Selling in Roseville>Question Details

Elmer, Home Seller in Roseville, MI

If am selling my home FSBO on Trulia, do I have to pay a commission to a buyers agent if they have one?

Asked by Elmer, Roseville, MI Fri Dec 16, 2011

Answers

11
Elmer,

All agents work on commission. The commission would come from either from the proceeds of the sale or through the buyer. Worst case scenario, you and the buyer could split the agent's commission. Look at it this way, if you wind up selling your house via a buyer's agent that buyer has a contract with the agent and that buyer would have most likely bypassed your home if it weren't for his agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
Elmer Trulia at this time does not offer a FSBO program. As for the second part of your question if you offer market compensation Realtors® will bring buyers. No one works for free.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
Only if you agree to that in the purchase contract.
Geez, all these realtors extolling their great virtues.We sold our house FSBO. A number of agents would come by and tell me they might have a buyer and asked if I'd pay them a commission - yeah 2 percent or less depending on what your offer is. We paid no commissions. Sold it for the price we asked.
Of course we priced it right and did all the things to make it very marketable. Had a contract in 6 days.
Nothing really wrong with realtors though.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 17, 2011
First you have to agree to it, I'm not sure why you would not want to pay a commission if a buyers agent brought you a buyer.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
Elmer,
If I call you up and tell you that I have a buyer who is interested in your house, but will only show it to them if I can be assured that I get paid, you can decide to say “yes you will” or “no you won't.”
If you say no, I will likely take my buyers to look at other homes. Earning a living is not a bad thing; a good agent brings value to a transaction that will exceed their commission. On the other hand a bad agent will cost you much more than a commission.
My recommendation is to reconsider your plan and interview a few good agents. A good agent may not tell you what you want to hear, "your home is worth twice what you think" but they will tell you the truth and allow you to verify it.
Hi Elmer,

You don't have to pay anyone a commission unless you agree to it in writing. If you allow an agent to show the property to their client the agent is going to expect to get paid. This should be negotiated prior to the agent showing your home. If an agent contacts you about showing your home make sure and ask them what they expect in a commission.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com
Elmer,

If a real estate agent brings you a buyer then they will want to get paid for their services. Typically, commission is paid by the seller out of the proceeds of the sale; however, sometimes the buyer will pay their agent's commission. It depends on what you can negotiate. Maybe you can split the commission payment with the buyer, or just pay it all yourself. But the agent should get paid for the work they do, wouldn't you agree?

Angie Simpson
Coldwell Banker
Web Reference: http://www.angiesimpson.com
Hello Elmer,
I do not believe Trulia has a FSBO program. If you offer a commission to Realtors & they find the buyer, then their offer will include the commission. Elmer, Realtors work on commission not salary.
Web Reference: http://www.michiganhome.net
The short answer is NO !
You never have to pay anyone a fee unless it is spelled out in written form and signed by you prior to you signing a purchase agreement.

Earl Dommer - associate broker
Real Estate One
Clinton Twp.
earld@realestateone.com
Yes, most, if not all agents will require it. You should expect to pay out 3% of the selling price, possibly just under that. You are still coming out ahead than if you would have had to pay commission to both sides. You will be lucky if you get an offer if your property is a FSBO on Trulia. The exposure is just not the same as being on the MLS. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.cathyabboud.com