Home Selling in Charleston>Question Details

jrpusser, Other/Just Looking in Charleston, SC

If a realtor represents abuyer in a land sale in S. C. who pays his fee-buyer or seller?

Asked by jrpusser, Charleston, SC Thu Oct 11, 2012

Answers

8
Marty is correct in almost all cases the seller pays the commission.
It depends if the land is listed in the multiple listing serveice or not. If it is, the seller pays the commissions. If the land is "for sale by owner", and the commissions are not negotiated for the seller ti pay them,then it would be up the the brokerage firm representing the buyer to work out commissions with the buyer paying. Generally speaking, the seller pays the real estate commissions.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 11, 2012
In a nutshell, a Realtor must have a written listing agreement signed by the seller and Realtor which stipulates how much commission the seller will pay the Realtor at closing. This agreement also specifies the commission "split" if there is a buyer's agent involved. A Realtor must also have a buyer’s agency agreement signed by the buyer and Realtor prior to making an offer on a property. The buyer's agreement specifies how the buyer's agent will be paid.

FSBO's are a little different. If the seller agrees to pay a Realtor a commission who brings him a buyer, then a listing agreement is not required as long as the Realtor is only representing the buyer. Instead, Realtors typically get the seller to sign a 1-time showing agreement which specifies at the minimum the seller, the property, the buyer, and the amount of compensation the seller will pay the Realtor if his buyer client closes on the property within a certain time-frame.

There are obviously more possible scenarios, but these are routine.
I'm going to answer a little differently from everyone else.

Who brings the money to the table, buyer, or seller?

There's your answer.
All of my buyers contracts I have the seller pay the commission. My buyers do not have to pay any commission fees.

Other Realtor's may have something different. As Michael stated it is all negotiable.

I would be happy to help and if you would like to look up properties that are current you can use this link and of course call or email me with any questions.

http://www.CharlestonTrident.com/PropertySearch.aspx?gateway…

Debbie Knowles
Brand Name Realty
843-609-8998
debbie@debbieknowlesrealty.com
Everything is negotiable. The buyer should have an agency agreement with their agent. This agreement will state how the buyer's agent will be compensated. To put it simply, it is typical, but not always the case, that the buyer's agent will be compensated by the listing agent, who is splitting the commission offered by the seller. This is all spelled out in their various agreements beforehand. For Sale by Owner may be different. If you have an agreement with the buyer's agent, check out the compensation section. If you don't already have an agreement with the buyer's agent, get one! Make sure to discuss compensation before signing. Good luck!
are you the buyer or the seller,
Let's assume you are the seller, and if the Realtor contacted you to show your land and talked to
you making the appointment he or she should also have asked you if you are cooperating with
Realtors, which Sellers usually do if a Realtor brings them a buyer and they buy the property, and
it is usually a smaller commission than the seller would pay to a listing brokerage, if on the other
hand the Realtor did not agree and put it in writing that YOU the seller will pay the Realtor a said
% of the sale price in commission, then hopefully that Realtor has a buyer representation agreement
with the buyer that will state if that was their agreement if their is a for sale by owner who is not cooperating with Realtors that then the buyer pays a said amount commission to his or her
buyers agent.

And this can still be arranged before writing an offer if the parties agree to it.
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
The commission is always paid by the seller. The seller signs a contract with a realtor and the commission is agreed upon prior to listing the land on the MLS. Do you have a question about a specific piece of land?