Susan, Other/Just Looking in North New Hyde Park,...

If a house is renovated and handicapped accessible

Asked by Susan, North New Hyde Park, NY Thu Jul 12, 2007

How much more is it worth? It has an elevated lift into house, pool lift and doorways are widened. It has a state of the art remodeled handicapped bathroom with a roll in shower and a tub with air jets and a lift.

Answers

3
Vicki Maselli-Shoop’s answer
With an ever aging population, I think that we will start to see more homes renovated with handicap-accessible features as well as more builders integrating them into new construction homes. Anytime that you are contemplating to renovate or make changes/additions to a home, your first question should be: Am I doing this to suit my needs, taste & life style today or am I doing this to potentially add greater value to my home possibly down the road? I believe that most people would answer the former. Either way, do not expect a dollar for dollar return on the investment. Although the pool of potential buyers will likely be much smaller, those who specifically seek out handicap-accessible features will likely be limited in their choices and thus more motivated to purchase a home already equipped to meet their needs.
Web Reference: http://MyGeorgiaHomes.com
Vicki Masell…, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
Good question, it really just depends on the demand you create. For 90% of the buyers it is not worth anything to them as it is not a common need. In fact the home could be worth less, depending on if they are very obvious or if they blend in and are unobtrusive. For the person who needs it, well than it's worth everything to them. I think it just depends on your strategy for marketing.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
These improvements may or may not have any impact whatsoever to value. Only to the new buyer that may or may not need the amenities.