Jeff, Other/Just Looking in Livonia, MI

If a house backs up to a park, is that generally a good or bad thing?

Asked by Jeff, Livonia, MI Sat Mar 19, 2011

When selling a house that backs up to a park, do buyers generally find that to be a selling feature or a drawback?

Answers

13
It's not good if it's Jurassic Park. I hear the neighbors are fairly noisy and a little hostile.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 20, 2011
It depends. First and foremost the location of both the house and the park are important factors. How safe and noisy is the park? If it is located in a great neighbor, safe park and relatively quiet it could be a great selling feature.
Sometimes a park can be a huge selling point other times not so much. Depends on the activities in the park and if the buyers would enjoy being close to a park.
Hi Jeff. As many have stated below, a general park to walk and relax or maybe have a picnic "should" be a plus. Now if it is known for "after hours" activity or it draws locals who are a disturbance quite often that could go either way. I tell my buyers to drive through an area they are thinking of purchasing a home in. On the weekends, after work hours and early mornings. This will let them see a typical day of neighborhood activity.
Like anything, it boils down to what the buyer feels is a benefit for their needs. If you don't want a pool, you will not look for a home that has one.

Elizabeth Nicosia
Clinton Twp-RE/MAX FIRST
To answer your question with a question - likewise, do buyers generally find a home on a corner to be a selling feature or a drawback? All depends upon the buyer,
Hi Jeff,

It depends on the location, condition of the park, the type of park (e.i. a dog park, city park, county park...), does it flood? I believe most buyers look at a park as a plus, but it depend on the above. Hope this helps Jeff.
Depends on the buyer. Some of mine would love it while others would avoid it. Also depends on the park. A green park that is tidy and a community draw could increase appeal of a home but something run down...well, you get the idea
Some buyers might, if I were you I would stress the important things about the house and community that made you buy the house.
I like parks and I think many buyers like parks but some buyers don't like parks.
Or, most importantly, is it the type of park where you can up and move your house whenever you want?
The simplest way to answer your question: Yes.
Hi, as stated below it really depends on the type of park and buyer for the home. I would market it as a plus and convenience and any buyers that are ok with the setting will come. Marketing it that way may save you alot of showing headaches if people know in advance, it will act as a filter.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
It depends on the buyer and the type of park. If they have kids it's usually a plus. If they don't want neighbors it's a plus.

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com