Dawn Ohnstad, Real Estate Pro in Wayzata, MN

If a homeowner has a stucco house built in the 1990s, should they do moisture/mold testing prior to putting the house on the market?

Asked by Dawn Ohnstad, Wayzata, MN Tue Feb 7, 2012

Answers

10
Real stucco is not likely to present any problems. The issue has been with EIFS - which is a synthetic product. Most relocation companies will not support the purchase if a home withe an EIFS exterior.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 8, 2012
Yes. Your either proving that it was done right or that you're taking care of a problem. Pro-active steps can save you time and money in the end.
Real stucco tends to be an excellent material and doesn't present lots of moisture/mold issues. It's the imitation stucco materials (ala Dryvit, and other EIFS products) that have had issues.

Rest assured that your potential "buyer" will have an inspector check out the home. But if you'd like to know in advance, you can have the home inspected yourself, so that you know what to expect.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
This is a great point........IMO, anything in question when selling a home should be evaluated, repaired, and/or disclosed.

If a problem is suspected, responsible sellers, and agents should set their sites on correcting it before listing it. As a buyer, wouldn't this be appreciated.

It's always a good idea to have as much information as possible. I mean, is there any such thing as too MUCH disclosure?

Hope it goes well for you~
YES! By not doing it you end up with inpsections after the fact from the buyer discovering the problem and then usually losing the buyer.
I would recommend that the homeowner do the test prior to listing to know what they are selling and price accordiingly.

This is similar to septic compliance testing. It is not required in many communities but most buyers are going to request a compliance test. If there are problems, whether expensive or not, they can be addressed before listing. If it passes, we have a report to show the buyer and one less worry for the seller when negotiating.
As a listing agent I always have the seller get a full inspection and if there are any signs of moisture do a moisture inspection too. Good general home inspectors have infrared scanners with them that can show moisture behind the walls and if present have a moisture inspection.

My sellers also offer a one year seller paid warranty. The home sells quickly, for more money and no surprises!

In my area cost for warranty and inspection is around $500.
Web Reference: http://thedobbinsgroup.com/
Dawn & Jim,
You say its Stucco, but is it? There were various "stucco" looking products used in this period with varying degrees of success. Some I've seen applied are literally Styrofoam nailed on then shaped and sprayed. If moisture gets behind the Styrofoam and is can create a number of problems.
Having this inspected first is a double edged sword. Once you know of a defect you must report it and will likely need to fix it. On the positive side, your homeowners may be able to make a claim against their homeowner’s policy. On the other side, what you don't know is the responsibility of the buyer to investigate.
I personally fall on the side of finding out and resolving it, in part because the longer the problem exists the more damage may be done. If the siding was well done and there are no problems, you've eliminated one issue that may keep you or your sellers up at night.
If they want to avoid any surprises that may come up on a buyers inspection it sounds like it would be a good idea to me, as long as they have the means and where with all to deal with any issues that may come up.
Web Reference: http://buymnrealestate.com