Home Selling in Harlem>Question Details

Sebastian, Home Seller in Harlem, New York, NY

If I want to sell a brownstone house that is 100 years old, has 4 bathrooms and bed rooms, and still stays in great condition, how much would I get?

Asked by Sebastian, Harlem, New York, NY Wed May 23, 2012

My parents are selling the house for my college tuition. My dad is retiring and pension can't cover all of the bills.

Answers

30
That is a loaded question Sebastian. Harlem is an area that is undergoing changes right now so if I was your parents and could I would try not to sell the place but rather make it a rental property. Reason I say this is because in the next 10 years the property value will increase dramatically as more and more people migrate to the city and are pushed uptown. Now if that is not an option than I would suggest calling me. People will tell you that a property value is neighborhood, condition its in, or several other factors(which are all partly true). However selling a property is much like anything else in life, it only worth as much as people are made to believe it is. I have sold apartments worth under $100,000 for more than double their price. Why because selling a place is about selling a life style not a piece of real estate. Also if your parents are flexible with financing alotments than you can even make more AND have a wider market.

I am a licensed Real Estate Agent. So look me up, my time is free so I will work with you so you can feel great about the sale.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 24, 2012
Property value is best determined by sales of comparable properties in the past three months. Since the market is so volatile its better to go with this time frame then say six months ago.

We can help you with that, but we will need to come and take a look.

Best luck,

--
Patricia

BSD Equities
174 Fifth Avenue #301
New York, NY 10010
Office: (212) 367-7200 Ext.18
Cell: (646) 269-4942
Patricia@bsdequities.com
http://www.bsdequities.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
Contact and invite a few local agents from different realty offices and ask for a cma, comparative market analysis, review the data, ask opinions and go from there; cma's are provided free of charge by most agents, or consider hiring a professional appraiser...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
Better yet, get it appraised
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
DO NOT SELL! YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF RENTING IT OUT
We got disconnected -please let me know how to get in touch with you.
Elena
If you have a Harlem brownstone for sale contact the Harlem Brownstone Maven, I have customers seeking to buy Harlem Brownstone Properties. contact Martinh@Rockefellerr.com .
Hi Sebastian ,
i'd LIKE TO VIEW YOUR PROPERTY . martinh@rockefellerr.com .
Flag Thu Jun 14, 2012
Hi Sebastian,
I'm I licensed sales person in the Harlem Elliman office and I own a brownstone...do a search on my website to see what is comparable, be informed and then hire yourself a real estate agent.

http://www.elliman.com/JLRC
Hi Sebastian,

You can also try to do a seller inspection of the house. This inspection can show you the general condition of the house. You can improve some of the conditions and this will affect the price. Then when you are selling the house you can use this inspection report as a marketing tool. Good luck.

Yuriy Goldstein
All Right Home Inspection
AllRightHomeInspection.com
Hello Sebastian. I can see that many people have referred you to check with a certified rReal Estate Agent to get a market report of your area so that you may see current trends and conditions. I know that it can be daunting picking an agent, so just make sure that you research agents in your area and read their reviews. Best of luck to you!

Juanita Simkins
http://www.juanitasimkins.com
Hi Sebastia, the main thing that determins the sales price is location (city and a more narrow neighborhood) and comparable recent sales of similar houses in your area. Experienced broker will know how to make adjustments to the comparable prices depending on the size and conditions of the property, either to make upward or downward adjustments. Any broker can check recently sold properties and determine a market price range. I would be glad to assist if you are in New York

Elena Ravich
Rakita Realty
646 593 7207
How much your parents can get for their house depends heavily on condition and location.

Your parents should contact a local real estate agent ("broker" as sometimes called) for a Comparative Market Analysis.

I currently have a buyer looking for a brownstone on, or south of, 125th St in Harlem. If that is this house's location, please pass my contact info on to your parents. Thank you.

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
kharby@crrnyc.com
212-688-1000x146
Mr. Sebastian,
All you need is angent to do a walk thourgh and to make CMR.
This will give you a better Idea of how much your home is worth.
wish you all the best.
Fajardo Delacruz
Hello Sabastian. Any broker will need to look at the house and assess the condition. They also need to do a comparative market analysis. I would strongy suggest that a very good way to assess value would be to have the house appraised. The appraiser isn't looking for a listing hence, his criteria is just comps although quality or a lack thereof will be a consideration.

I ask that you feel free to contact me any time to discuss your options and the current market. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Please connect with an experienced Realtor in your area, if you need a recommendation contact me.
I gladly refer a partner agent to you.

The Realtor will be the only person to give you a good answer, because he or she will need to
see the home, its upgrades, condition in comparison to the rest of the market, and then give you
and your parents an honest and straightforward answer if something needs to be done, if at least
some fresh paint, in updated colors, some staging or removing of clutter etc, just examples......

And then the agent will be able to explain to you the best and worst scenario of what based on the
most realistic list price your home could sell for and with all expenses involved what the net to
seller could be like in the best and in the worst situation (reducing the price to get interest, or
negotiating the final sale price with a potential buyer...)

Do not or do not have your parents do this alone!

Good luck to you...
Edith YourRealtor4Life! Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients - Buyers, Sellers and Investors Alike. I cover the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs and the fine homes on
the North Shore and cover for clients US States and acquisitions worldwide with partner agents.
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
@Properties North Shore
I would need to preview it first. I will follow-up with a meeting with you to present my proposal showing comps. pricing for your building and my marketing plan.
There are many factors that one needs to take into consideration when figuring out a list price that will appraise.

Aside from being a Manhattan real estate broker, I am also a part time working appraiser to keep my skills sharp on a higher level for folks like you, than most brokers. I know how to pull comparables like all the other brokers, but I add the extra knoolwdge on how to fight a low appraisal and price a property on a higher skill level that most brokers, cannot.

If I can be of service, please feel free to reach me for an expert evaluation of your Harlem brownstone.

Check out our website to see what we can do for YOU.

Jennifer Chiongbian
SVP/ Associate Broker
Rutenberg Realty
9172502284
Hello Sebastian,

the only way to find out about the true value of your property is by having in valuated by a Real Estate professional following a walk through of your property. This walk through will help not only evaluate the condition but also assess other assets the property has over other properties in the neighborhood.

As a Harlem resident and a real estate professional with Citi Habitats, I would be glad to assist you with your quest.

Best of luck,

Mark Tabiszewski
mtabiszewski@citi-habitats.com
+1(646)427-5577
How you done comps in the area and what size is it sq feet? etc you need an Realtor who can do this work for you And then Market it so that it sells in the quickest time with the best price
I am with Fenwick Keats and have sold townhouses in Manhattan Please call me at 646-895-0987
Flag Wed May 23, 2012
Please speak to Joe Davila at Fenwick Keats Real Estate. He has been selling real estate in NYC for almost 15 years. He also lives and specializes in Harlem & Upper Manhattan. Check his listings and contact info here:
http://fkrealestate.com/agent_detail.aspx?brokerid=1771
Sebastian,
Where in Harlen is this? It depends on the location and the state that the house is in.
I have a buyer who's willing to pay all cash for the right priced brownstone. We have seen everything on the market and now we are looking for off market properties. Please let me now if you are working with a broker to price it. If not I can help you price it and also bring my buyers along after we have priced it.
I look forward to your response.
Parish
parish.pradhan@kwnyc.com
917-365-9935
Hi Sebastian, a lot will depend on where exactly the house is and also would need to see in person to determine based on the actual condition how it compares to other houses that have recently sold and are now on market. If you could give me a call at 917-376-1648 or drop me an email at csummers@bellmarc.com I'd be happy to discuss more details and perhaps take a look at the house and give you a more exact answer.
My best,
Charlie Summers, Bellmarc Realty
The best thing you can do is invite at least three Realtors in to provide you with a WRITTEN Comparative Market Analysis (that they should leave with you.

It should be based on sales within 1 mile, same zip code, same school district, that have closed within the past three months and are similar to yours.

Let me know if you would like some referrals for some reallly good Realtors in your area.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
631-425-6150
Hi Sebastian,
I would be pleased to come over to tour the property with my associates, then research comparable properties to determine it's market value. Let schedule an appointment at no cost to you!

Georges Bleuzen
http://www.bondnewyork.com/nyc_real_estate_agent_2165.htm
http://www.bondnewyork.com/tv/?video_id=72C80E4C71
O: 646-666-2365
M:347-598-0862
F:212-956-1344
Bond New York Real Estate
1776 Broadway, 2nd Floor. New York, NY 10019
Hello Sebastian,
You have good Parents! you must invite a few brokers and ask them to valuate the property.
We can tell you how much it looks like it is worth, however, the broker has to walk the property
and check the space the condition the view etc...
Good Luck!!
Fern Hamberger
VP Asso Broker
fhamberger@citi-habitats.com
Sebastion, call me at 718.791.5427 i will help you with this, or email me at Angelan@nestseeekers.com, talk with you soon.
Hello Sebastien,

I am a VP of Sales with Nest Seekers International.

Let's help you with deciding the price of sales and market your parents property to sell it within 60 days.

Give us a call when you are ready to authorize us to come take a look.

Warmest Regards,

Raoul Sodogandji
International Market Specialist
VP of Sales and Rentals at the RS Group
Licensed Salesperson

(o): 212.252.8772 (EXT.782)
(c): 347.993.8333
(e): raouls@nestseekers.com

"In the past, our growth has been by referral of current clients. We've never really done much marketing." Please refer us to your friends and family.
I need to do a comp sales analysis. I need to look at it. I need to take pictures. Then I need to look in my database.

Generally when the weather is warmer there are buyers. Colder weather, buyers dont like to get out and see apartments. Summer and early fall tends to be warm. Better to market it now and sell it asap. I can take pictures and put up ads. I can work on an exclusive basis or non-exclusive basis. Exclusives is 5% (negotiable) and for nonexclusive I do 3% if I bring a qualified buyer.

Non-exclusive agreement, I put up ads and I represent the buyer and show them many apartments not just your apartment, if they like your apartment and bring funds at closing, I get paid by you 3% buyer's broker commission.

Let me know selling real estate is my passion.

--
Thank you!

DOM PASCUAL, J.D., ESQ.
ASSOCIATE REAL ESTATE BROKER
Demsker Realty
"Your Experts in NYC Luxury Apartments & Lofts"
304 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10010
Cell: (631) 741-2764
E-mail: dompascual@gmail.com
Join my social network: http://cityamicus.com
Company Website: http://demskerrealty.com/
Blog: http://dompascual.wordpress.com/
Listings: http://dompascual.postlets.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dompascualesq
Facebook Profiles: Dom Pascual; Manhattan Broker

** All information contained herein does not constitute any warranties, offer or commitment or obligation of any sort and/or kind whatsoever and is subject to change, error, omission and/or withdrawal without prior notice. **
Hi Sebastian,

Have a few brokers come to look at the house and provide you with a complimentary comparative market analysis. I would be happy to assist your parents in deciding how to proceed with selling the house. Please feel free to contact me.

R. Lela Bourne
Certified Cartus Relocation Specialist
Licensed R. E. Sales
BOND New York
917 595 4635 office
646 239 4145 cell
lbourne@bondnewyork.com
Hi, No agent can give you an accurate answer without seeing it. You should have a few brokers come by and give you their opinion.

Chris