Maureen A. D…, Other/Just Looking in Hamburg, NY

If I replace my roof, do minor repairs & repaint my house will It be worth it or would it be best to sell my home "as is"?

Asked by Maureen A. Domino, Hamburg, NY Fri Jul 13, 2012

Answers

11
Great question Maureen, and the answer is.....it will vary by area and home values in your area. Some things like the roof "may" be a must depending on total condition and whether or not it leaks. Painting, again depending on the conditions and colors will vary too. I was a general contractor for many years and find this greatly helps the real estate side of my business as I can help clients see value of where to spend money to make more. You would be best finding a qualified agent to do a walk through of your home and then a CMA of your area to help determine a repair and pricing plan that makes the most sense.
An agent in your area can definitely advise you on this. Don't be afraid to get a few referrals from your trusted friends and family and speak with more than one. An informed agent should be able to tell you what your home would be priced at either way and what your return on investment would be if all went as planned. Good luck!
Speak with a local realtor for some advice on your particular house of what you should do to get the maximum for your house and in the best possible time frame. However, a simple paint job and decluttering will always help the sale of a home in my opinion.
Consider working with an agent of your own; he/she can better advise as to what needs to be done in order to maximize your selling price....
A good tidying up will go very far for you. When painting keep to a simple color. If your roof needs repair a good buyers agent will notice it and recommend a lower starting price to compensate for the repair. Its in your best interest to have it done. If you do not want to bother set the price to reflect the cost involved and sell it as is!
Get Advise from a local agent who knows what is happening in your area.
A major item like a roof if the life is limited would be worthwhile to replace. Other repairs would need to be assessed and then determined whether it would increase a sale price or not. I would be happy to come to your home and advise you on the best course of action.

Nan Malysza
RealtyUSA
nmalysza@realtyusa.com
(716)432-5659
http://www.NanHomes.com
Have a few agents come in and advise you. Without seeing it firsthand it's difficult to say. Generally minor cheap repairs are always good, when you start replacing roofs it depends on the current condition, you probably won't get your money back on it but if it is in obvious disrepair or leaking it would behoove you to do something.
Tom Brady SFR, e-Pro, SRES, GREEN
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Ret. NYPD Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Plaza - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
Maureen,

As others have asked, what is the condition of the roof now? Are shingles missing or curling? You must utilize the experience of a good realtor to determine what needs to be done to make your home more marketable, but also keep in mind that if the roof is in obvious disrepair, an appraiser may value your home subject to repairs. If that happened, you would need to have the roof repaired in order to allow the buyer to close on their mortgage. If they were paying cash, you would have no worries.

If you are need of mortgage pre-qualification for your next home, please call me at any time.

Ron Fronckowiak
Licensed Mortgage Professional
R & R FUNDING, INC.
Lancaster NY 14086
P: 716-685-9696
Web Reference: http://www.WNYMortgages.com
It is best to make the repairs needed on your home. Repairs will add value to your home. A home that needs repairs, such as a roof, will sell for much less and will likely sit on the market longer. Also, things like roofs in poor condition and peeling paint may limit the type of financing a buyer can obtain and ultimately limit the customer base for your home. II would be glad to come stop by your home to discuss what repairs are necessary and depending on the repairs needed if it would be best to sell it as is. It is impossible to give the best advise without seeing your home. You can contact me at (716) 983-3607.
Maureen,

If you do NOT replace the roof, the potential buyers will deduct the amount they "think" it will cost to replace from their offer price. A home in good condition and well staged will sell faster and for more money.

Legally, unless the roof is leaking, you are not required to do anything at all. How old is the roof and is it showing its age.

I love my sellers to do their own Pre-Home Inspection (certainly worth the money) so they can pick and choose which items to pay attention to so they will not show up in the buyer's report.

Homeowners are often very surprised at what they don't know about their own homes.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
631-425-6150