Ramtu Sherif…, Both Buyer and Seller in New York

If I get a real estate license, can I sell my home?

Asked by Ramtu Sheriffe, New York Wed Jun 27, 2012

Answers

16
If you don't know the answer to that,
maybe you should keep your old job.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 27, 2012
of course you can but if you're intention is to only sell your home why get a real estate license??? You can also sell your house on your own if you wanted to. Try it out and if you succeed then kudos to you if not it was worth trying maybe think about a realtor helping you. Wish you the Best. Jeannette Batsikas
As soon as you will receive your license you will be ready to sell your home as a real estate professional but you can also do FSBO (for sale by owner).

Thank You
asked and answered I assume... Good Luck to you, are you taking your license?

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
The answer is yes you can sell your home holding a real estate license, you would just need to disclose that to the buyer. Do you want to sell real estate for a living or just a one time thing to save on the commission? Keep in mind if it is just to save on the commission there are a number of steps and out of pocket expenses involved in becoming a agent. You will need to sign up and take the real estate classes (this can take several months), sign up and pay to take the state test, when you pass the state test you will need to pay for any state licensing fees, pay for background check, pay board dues, pay for MLS subscription service (this is where you will list your home for sale). Buy signs and business cards, and start advertising your home. Hope this helps.
If you get a license, yes you can sell your home.
If you don't have a license, you can sell your home.

Which option provides the best outcome for you depends on your situation and objective.
If you are a Realtor, with a real estate license, have your license with a brokerage company or a managing broker and I assume you will want to be member of the local Realtors Association and
the Multiple listing service and yes as a licensed Realtor in your State you can sell your own
property, you must declare so on the multiple listing that you are owner of the property and the Realtor as well, and you may want to double check with your sponsoring brokerage, i.e. the office you will be
associated with how they deal with agents when they are selling their own property.

Make sure you have all the answers in place.
Talk to the managing broker of one of the real estate offices in your town.

Sincerely yours,
Let's see... Real estate licence, company to sponsor your license...
Yup.

Good luck Ramtu!
Dear Ramtu:

Yes you can. You simply have to disclose the fact that you are a licensed real estate agent within the contract of sale. When you go to real estate school they will also teach you about lead based paint disclosure, property condition disclosure and agency disclosure forms which are required regardless if you are a real estate agent or not.

If you need help selling your home and/or getting your license (or a sponsor for your license), please contact me. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Why get a license? You can sell you home without it. If you really want to become an agent the answer is yes you can also list and sell your home. At Fillmore Real Estate we have free sales training on an on going basis with alot of other perks. If you would like to discuss this further call or e mail me anytime.
as an owner your allowed to sell your own property without an agent in NY.
you can not sell or facilitate a transaction for someone else if you are not a broker or owner.

best advice I can give is to hire a professional to sell your home - you wouldn't hire your accountant to represent you in a court of law or ask your lawyer to file your taxes (unless they were certified of course!).
Hello Ramtu,
By the time you have taken and passed the real estate course, passed your state's real estate licensing exam, and have gained some experience and knowledge within your market; then much time will have passed before you can list your home.

Instead, I suggest that you consult with a few experienced local agents to determine who can give you the largest market exposure and who you feel most comfortable working with to get your home sold.

There are a few sellers who attempt to sell their properties themselves but many end up hiring a real estate agent to assist them. It's very costly for a For-Sale-By-Owner to obtain the same amount of marketing exposure than what a real estate firm can offer. The idea is to attract the largest pool of qualified buyers to see your home and FSBO's have a difficult time achieving that.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Well, I will resist the urge to give you a sarcastic answer and ask you a question. If you had a medical condition, would you wait to go to medical school to fix the problem?

Find yourself a good broker who is experienced and let them handle the sale. You will probably lose more money trying to sell yourself than having someone handle it for you. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
fantastic answer...made my day thanks
I am going to go with no as my answer to this question but not giving my reason.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
LOL Ron - great answer - thumbs up!