Home Selling in Cleveland>Question Details

Amanda Pohlm…, Real Estate Pro in Shaker Heights, OH

Ideas on how to handle sellers who won't leave when showing their home? How do you gently persuade them to give you the privacy your buyer's need?

Asked by Amanda Pohlman, Shaker Heights, OH Fri Aug 23, 2013

Answers

6
Have them read the story I wrote below about sellers that wouldn't leave while I showed the home to my buyers. They completely gave away their position (to me) and we were able to get a HECK of a deal.
I always say, while standing at the front door or in the living room to the sellers, "Are you just going to stay here in the living room, on the front porch" or anywhere really just to kind of keep them in one spot then tell them "we will have a look around and come find them if we have any questions." That way they tend not to follow us around. I always try to make them feel valued too by asking them something like, "what is your favorite thing about your home?" before we leave so they have a chance to add a perspective I cannot for my buyers.
Oh man I have this happen all of the time. Some of them are even so in the way/in your face that my buyers are turned off by it. More so when the home is sort of small, when you have 5 people now treading around in the same room, the room will look even tinier and feel very crowded.

I have even had sellers point out nothing but the negatives to my buyers before!

I have no problem letting my sellers know this when it is my own listing, however sometimes the listings are not mine, and I bring in the buyer, which makes telling the seller to back off a little more---- difficult.

I guess I kind of have to suck it up, and just try to point out the positives the home offers and hope that my buyers like it.

90% of the time though, my buyers buy a house that they have viewed that was either vacant, or the sellers just let me do my job and stood outside or in the living room during the showing.
This should have been discussed when you were taking the listing, under, "how to handle showings."

Right now, you have to put away the word, "gently," and just do it.
It may seen difficult but if you explain to sellers that most of the houses are sold when is no restrictions for showing times and owners shouldn't wasn't at the property. Buyer feel free to look around, open closet doors, turn on lights and just imagine themselves living in that house.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone
http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
Try to make them understand this is not a personal thing. Buyers cannot envision space & flow without somebody constantly diverting their attention. Either that or at least get them to go outside, take a walk or anything that keeps them distant from the Buyers Tour.