Home Selling in Seffner>Question Details

G, Home Seller in Brandon, FL

I would like to sell my home in north Brandon/Seffner. Will it sell in this economy?

Asked by G, Brandon, FL Thu Dec 4, 2008

It's a 4/2, 1976sf, 2 car gar, w/pool, 27 yrs old that needs a little work (roof, carpet, lawn). We owe about $165k, zillow says it's worth $183k. If I pay for the new roof, carpet and misc things, can I really sell it in this economic environment?

Answers

4
Yes, your house can sell in this economy. You need to price it to sell and market, market, market. Even with the abundance of Forclosures and Short Sales, there are are buyers who, because of their circumstance would like to purchase in a timely manner. Foreclosures and Shart Sales take patience and time. Offer a fast closing. Offer buyers something extra. Instead of you fixng the carpet and misc items, market it so that the buyer will get a credit for repairs. This way the buyer gets a credit and can choose the carpet color, etc. Also, make sure you make the property availabe to show and it is staged in an inviting, neutral manner.
G,
You can sell a home in any economy. The question is are you willing and able to set a price that will result in a sale. Renting is an option but ask yourself are you ready to be a landlord; will I have a positive cash flow; what will my carrying costs really be (be mindful to calculate your property taxes which may increase when it is no longer your homestead); how will the property being a rental effect the insurance premium I pay; and if you are looking to buy another home, will I qualify for a second mortgage.

As for fixing up the home, I would fix the roof and the front yard. Curb appeal makes a huge statement to any buyer. And the roof, every buyer I have ever worked with or shown a home to asks the same question, "How old is the roof?".

If you decide to sell I wish you the best of luck.

Trey Miller
Prudential Tropical Realty
Web Reference: http://www.TampaTrey.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
NO. You're better off renting it. If you list it now for $183K with new roof, carpet, etc it will sit for a long time and you'll eventually rent it anyway so you may as well just rent it now and get a head start.

If you still want to sell it, make sure you list it with a brokerage with a high visibility on the internet for Tampa Real Estate so you get a lot of exposure on your property on their website. Over 80% of buyers are online so your listing should be very visible to them.
Web Reference: http://www.tampa4u.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
G,

Yes, it's possible to sell in this market but is is very competitive. Short sales and foreclosures have created the new market level with their pricings.

Since you will be competing with these homes you will need to price your home based on this information. Pricing your home higher than the going rate will only serve to delay your sale and ultimately bring you less in sale price.....pricing it right is the key.

The Eckler Team