340thmpco, Home Seller in Tampa, FL

I want to sell my house but don't want to pay does high % commission, Is there any realtor that negotiate the commission for saling a house?

Asked by 340thmpco, Tampa, FL Thu Jan 19, 2012

Answers

29
If you negotiate a lower commission, you risk losing some marketing power. Commissions are used to a large extent, to market your home. You may end up having your home on the market longer, but if that isn't a problem, you can probably find a Realtor to reduce their commission.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 14, 2012
Hi 340,

In a nut shell whats everyone's trying to say, you wouldn't hire your electrician to do your landscaping or your pool cleaner to do repair your BMW and expect a great outcome.Do you know that the average seller at some point has tried to sell their home by them-self and end up hiring a Agent sooner than later. I know you might not like some of our answers,what you must realize we really work hard at what we do in today's market,it takes a lot of time and hard work to do what we do. You might think we just take the home and pop it on the market.If that was the case everyone would be doing real estate. So don't take our comments personal.But we take what we do really personal.

Now the average real sale home commission starts around 6%, normally 3% for the buyers agent and 3% for the selling agent. What a agent might be willing to do is reduce the commission if your agent brings the buyer and you the seller to the table.

Now, many agents would only glance at a property when commission is less than 6%, why? It's a buyers market and there are many homes currently flooding the Florida market. And to add New Home Construction builders are all over the Tampa area.brand new homes with warranty and they pay higher commission spreads and the home is brand new... So this is what you are competing with.

Well I hope this helps and best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 20, 2012
Real estate agents are GREEDY Bastards!!!! when your hom is on the MLS it is linked to many many real estate websites which most people today are pretty savvy and will tell thier agent what homes they wish to look at not the otherway around.
Flag Tue Oct 21, 2014
Be careful of discount brokers - the savings of a percent or two on the commission might be eaten up by time on the market or a lower sale price which means less in your pocket.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 19, 2012
Thank you Lana for your honesty. I think eventually the 6% norm will eventually be gone. The work done is very simple and I can't stand when agents try to make it sound like it's complicated.
Flag Thu Oct 23, 2014
Why do you say that. The truth is I think its irresponsible for us to still charge fees that were originally established to cover huge marketing costs associated with print advertising. Because of that my company charges a flat fee but our service is same or better. I spend 1400 a month on online advertising of properties and to reach buyers, have a professional photographer, use ekey MLS box, there is absolutely nothing that an agent who charges 3% on sell side does that we don't do. I think the industry really needs to change.
Flag Sat Feb 1, 2014
Everything in life is negotiable -
In my fathers day - you could expect to get what you paid for...
In today's world; we get what we "negotiate"...

However, I would think twice about your decision -

What we know -
Your property is located in Tampa -

What we do not know -
How many competing properties are on the market...
How does your property compare - Price? Location? etc...

NEXT - understand the competition - You can bet the buyer knows...
If there are no competing properties - or yours stands high and above the others based upon price or location or another compelling factor... The perhaps yes - you can effectively negotiate a reduction from the usual and customary 6% -

With that being said - If in fact there are many immediate options - or your price and or other factors and not "compelling" - you are as they say "shooting yourself in the foot" -
Realtors are human - if there are options that pay more; believe me your home will be skipped -
Your neighbors home - listed for more $$, will have far more activity and in the end your net funds will likely be less and the time frame extended.

Be careful here -

One further thought - and I use this strategy often -
I go the other way - offer a higher than usual - .5 additional % - price high and let the agents work for the bonus $$ - There are opportunities to reduce the commission if a "must be" case evolves.

If you have questions or would like further information on selling in Tampa -
Call Gary 561.306.7653
Web Reference: http://www.garyyoungman.com
Give yourself the Seller's Advantage! Our company policy is only 3.5% and our listing period is only 3 months. http://www.JasonNazzaro.com
Many agents are willing to be flexible on commission rates, but it's not something they like to advertise. And most clients are not very comfortable negotiating rates. A lot of it depends on the potential selling price of your home, too.

At UpNest (http://www.upnest.com), we created an online marketplace where home sellers can confidentially submit their homes, and multiple top local agents will compete to obtain your listing. Some agents lower their commission rates to stand out, and every agent that submits a proposal is an experienced agent, so it's not the same as working with a low grade discount brokerage.

Good luck selling your Tampa home!
You can find many agents that will take a lower rate. I don't buy for a second that an agent increases the selling price, in fact I've haven't seen any proof of such. I purchased without an agent and made a few offers on properties where the buyers paid up to 15k more than the counter I was given by the sellers agent. Selling a home isn't very complicated, the closing office does a large amount and a real estate attorney can handle the rest and actually know the contracts legal terms. As far as marketing, most buyers look on Zillow and you will get just as much exposure there.
Did you ever list and sell your home?
Fun Fact: The average home seller makes 7-14% in using a professional. That means if you pay a 6% commission you will still be making 1 to 8% more than with out one. Not to mention the fact that you will not have to deal with unqualified buyers, people contacting you all day and figuring our the contracts etc. Last thought, I do not like to pay the dentist either, but I am surely not going to pull my tooth myself.
Hi 340thmpco,

We completely understand that you don't want to pay a high commission rate, who would actually WANT to pay a high commission rate? Commission rates are negotiable, you can negotiate out a commission rate as high or low as you and your future agent can agree on. Just be careful not to sacrifice a good agent for the lowest commission rate that you can find.

We (UpNest) are an innovative online realtor market place that helps you find top local realtors that will be competing for your business. When using UpNest, within 24 hours you will receive multiple different proposals customized by some of the top local agents in your area. You will be able to compare commission quotes, length of contract, and services such as number of open houses, staging, marketing and virtual tours that the agents are willing to offer.

After reviewing the different proposals, you then can pick the agent that you feel is best suited for you and your particular situation. Because agents are competing for your business, they will be offering lower than average commission rates, saving you thousands of dollars.

For more information on UpNest and how we operate, please check out our website at
http://www.UpNest.com.
Good Afternoon
You absolutely can negotiate the commission. However as many others stated you may have your home on the market longer. If you need any assistance pre-qualifying buyers I would be more than happy to assist.
Warm Regards
Stephanie Adams

Senior Loan Officer
813-377-2226
Commissions are negotiable.
Many Realtor's will accept a lower commission to gain your listings.

The problem is that the listing Realtor may not give you the best quality of service.

Also, the house is less appealing to the buyers Realtor as they are also receiving a reduced commission.

The goal is to get as many people in the house as possible and the MLS is the best way to market a home.

So while you may be saving a few thousand dollars on the commission, that may cost you tens of thousands of dollars on the sale price.
Hi 340thmpco,

We (LessThan6Percent) are an innovative online realtor market place that helps you find top local realtors that will be competing for your business. When using LessThan6Percent, within 24 hours you will receive multiple different proposals customized by some of the top local agents in your area. You will be able to compare commission quotes, length of contract, and services such as number of open houses, staging, marketing and virtual tours that the agents are willing to offer.

For more information on LessThan6Percent and how we operate, please check out our website at
http://www.LessThan6Percent.com.
An agent doesn't sell your home, marketing, condition and price does. Buying a home is very simple. As someone else said most buyers look online at sites like Zillow for a home even if they use an agent. When an agent lists a home in the MLS sites like Zillow also show the listing and an owner can list their home on Zillow just the same. Now if it's for sale by owner a buyers agent may not want to steer someone towards your home but as a buyer I went out and did it myself without an agent. An agent isn't going to get you more money compared to selling it yourself, that's just bs and I've seen no proof showing otherwise. I'm sure the National Ass of Realtors says this crap but I wouldn't believe a thing they say. A salesman will always tell you it's a good time to buy
I was an agent once. It's not rocket science but the pay off is very good. However, with that being said, no agent is worth the amount of money they actually get paid for what they do!! Just my opinion.

All commission % are negotiable. Not all agent deserve the highest. I would always ask for a referral an agent that a family member, friend has used so you know what type of Agent you will be employing.

Oscar Gonzales
WestCo Realty
562-244-2066
BRE#01771716
I will say not every agent is worth their fee. But when it comes to hiring a great agent, you get what you pay for. Discount realtors generally mean discount service. I recommend interviewing with agents that will help you sell your home, not just put on the MLS and put up a sign. You are hiring someone to represent you and protect you on a very large sale. You are paying for their experience and local knowledge to help you get top dollar.
Our firm offer a plan called Hybrid-MLS - what we do is promote real estate on ALL the major web-sites and The Local MLS. Using our service - or a similar service known as "Flat-Fee MLS" or Discount Brokerage, you generally will pay half of the typical commission. The catch is that YOU as a seller will field all incoming calls from both cooperating agents as well as buyers direct.

The plan works extremely well - as long as you, as a seller know how to deal with the showings and field the questions along with helping the buyers with advice and suggestions- comparables, financing, closing fees, etc.

WATERWAY REALTY, REALTORS®

✤ Join Us on #EAv @EmpireAvenue ♦ http://bit.ly/x1XRgj ♦
Miami Property Search ~ http://on.fb.me/ADLVGz ✤
Follow Us at http://fullyfollow.me/wtwy ✤

Miami Beach Real Estate Guy
Web Reference: http://www.Hybrid-MLS.com
340thmpco,
Contact a few agents in your area and discuss this. There are no set commissions. You can request their best rate.

Gary Geer
340thmpco, we can certainly appreciate your comment, that you do not want to pay a high real estate commission. You could just list your property on MLS for a flat fee with no participation from the listing agent. In this manner you would be on the market, but, not in the market.

Although not provable buyer's agents show properties offering a 3% buyer's agent commission. Any less than that you might be waiting by the phone for a showing call.

So that leaves the real estate commission that you are willing to pay the listing agent. If you'd like to pay less than 3%, then what are you willing to give up? A sign? Internet marketing? Lister showings? Open houses? Print advertising? Photos? Showing Call Center? Someone to negotiate your highest and best price/terms possible? Phone calls alerting you to a showing? Flyers? A managed transaction? Attendance at all inspections? A qualified buyer? A deal that does not close?

FYI, if you are a short sale then the lender determines what the commission paid to the agents will be and adds this amount to their final net.

If you decided to list utilizing a flat fee service, then you will be responsible for fielding all of the phone calls for showings.

If you'd like to research the market yourself, you can search the MLS and see your competition wth a free account. Check out our site to sign up.

Lynn Brock
941.313.1234
email@brockrealty-inc.com

It appears that you are in New Tampa. This is an area that is highly desireable. I own a home in New Tampa in the Cross Creek Subdivision, and I am very familiar with this area and would be happy to help you with the sale of your home.

I know a few of the respondents were tough on you about the commission, but I have always felt that if the seller needs assistance with a few thousand dollars taken off the commission, then that's okay. My blessings have come in all sorts of ways, and I have benefited more by doing what is right, then from being greedy at all costs.

So, if you want an experienced real estate professional, who is honest and will answer her phone (lol), give me a call at 813-994-7397 today.

Take care and I hope to have an opportunity to assist you in the selling of your home.

Cheryl Bailey
Charles Rutenberg Realty
813-994-7397
Of course. Every real estate professional will negotiate with a home seller to reach a mutually satisfactory arrangement. We all want to save money. I know I do! Occasionally you might even see me at that "Save Money - Live Better' place.

We understand home owners are no different. You want to save money too!
Some save money by paying 40% less at Nordstrom's, or through a BOGO at Target. There are many economy models. Which one will work best for you really does depend on your needs and anticipated outcome.

So, give a few folks a call and only make an appointment with the ones who actually answered their phone.
Best of success in selling your home.
Annette Lawrence
Broker/associate
ReMax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727. 420. 4041
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
Everything in a Real Estate transaction is negotiable. Contact several agents directly and allow them to present their marketing plan to you and then you can discuss commissions and fee's.
All commissions are negotiable. As stated below, you get what you pay for. As long as you are happy with paying a certain commission, then do not complain about the service, because that is what you paid for. The better the service and the amenities, the more you should expect to pay. Do you haggle with your other professionals, like lawyers and accountants, about what they charge? Are you willing to work for your employer, even if he pays you less money. For any reduced fee, there is a corresponding cost, whether it be less service, less buyers, less advertising, etc. Builders, for example, pay more commisions to sell their homes, not less. I am sure you have read how they are hurting. Good luck in your search for a good realtor that works hard for you, but expects little for his/her labors.

Bill Szydlowski
Web Reference: http://www.tampamyhome.com
Hello ,

There are agents who will reduce their commission and will do or say anything to get a listing. Just remember you get what you pay for. Reducing your commission may just get you a sign in the yard and your property on the MLS. As a seller you want a Realtor who will work hard to sell your home. You have to realize that real estate agents invest a lot of their own money into marketing and selling your property. Lower commissions may not give your agent extra incentives to invest their money in your property. In most real estate transactions there are usually 2 agent involved, your agent and a buyer agent. When you reduce your commission you also reduce the buyer's agent commission. Buyer agents may not show your property or up sell another property because of the reduced commission. Remember negotiating skills are very important when choosing an agent. Do you really want to work with an agent who couldn't even negotiate their own commission. My recommendation to you is make sure you hire an agent who answers their phone and return calls.

Please feel free to call or email me with any questions and good luck!

Andrew Schmitt
Yellowfin Realty
Sales Associate / Property Manager
andrew.yellowfinrealty@gmail.com
http://www.andysellstampabay.com
http://www.yellowfinrealty.com
Yes, give me a call we are one of New Tampa's top area realtors. 813-294-4904
Web Reference: http://www.teambarone.com
Yes. Give me a call and I will explain all the nuances of negotiating a commission.
Web Reference: http://tampahouse1.com