Home Selling in Austin>Question Details

Ashley, Home Seller in Round Rock Center, R...

I want to sell a timeshare where do I go?

Asked by Ashley, Round Rock Center, Round Rock, TX Wed Jun 30, 2010

Answers

8
Unfortunately, there is virtually no resale market for timeshare anymore. The market has collapsed and the stark truth is that most timeshares are worthless. Ebay is full of timeshare weeks unsold for only $1. The sellers would of course be quite happy to sell for even less just to rid themselves of timeshare
Ashley,

There are a couple of big timeshare resellers....might look in some travel magazines to find them.
I don't think your local real estate agent will touch it. No expertise and not enough market or commission to make it worthwhile in most cases.

http://www.stroman.com/ is one of the big resellers I know about.
I think redweek.com is another.

Be aware they typically sell at huge discounts to what you paid. If you paid $10,000 for example, it might not be unsual to sell it for $2500...or $500.... the initial purchase price is normally not really an indicator of the value of the timeshare, but includes all the commissions and marketing expenses of the developer. Those big rooms with lots of sales people, giveaways, giveaways to people who don't buy, trips, and all that takes up a lot of that initial charge.

There could be some exceptions, but what we see is that often resales sell at a huge discount just to get the seller out of the year maintenance obligation.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Hi Ashley,
I just closed a time share day before yesterday...best way is to find a local agent to put it in the MLS as well as market it to the right clientele. They are selling below what most buyers have paid at this time. If you don't have to sell, it is not a good time. If you do need to sell, there are plenty of buyers for the right price. Call me if I can help.
Cindy Crawford, REALTOR
Keller Williams Realty-Lake Travis
1921 Lohman's Crossing #100
Austin, TX 78734
(512)522-5002
CindyCrawford@KW.com
the best way to sell your timeshare is to go through the company that first manages the property your timeshare is at -- or ask them for a referral. Once you open the door to timeshare sells outside of that you will start getting bombarded with tons of calls - do not ever pay someone up front to list for you -- it never works.

Hope this helps
Crazy waiting for someone who wants a timeshare.

if I wanted a time share I probably would have bought it when it was first offered. A used timeshare lacks the bonuses given for buying when new. That should reduce the price greatly.

When you add in taxes and costs involved it appears cheaper to rent a hotel for awhile. PLUS you can always change your vacation week if the weather turns bad.
Suggest you list the timeshare with an agent in the city where you own. But, definitely go out to your friends, coworkers, and relatives and see if you can bring in your own buyer. This is a great time for people to pick up resale timeshares. Don't expect to make a lot. There is a ton of inventory and a moderate demand. You'll likely get less than you want.

Have a blessed day!
Ronda
I think there are websites that can help you if you do a google search.
Ashley, depends on a few things such as where the time share is and if you own a term (ie: 10 yrs.) or ? Perhaps if you share some details I may be able to steer you in the right direction. For example, my time share management company also sells and rents them. Also, I may have an interested investor(s) if you want to email me specifics. Thanks, Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor, Keller Williams Realty