Jennifer, Home Seller in Staten Island, NY

I want to put my home on market, but wondering if I should paint over wall paper & tear out carpet first?

Asked by Jennifer, Staten Island, NY Fri Sep 27, 2013

I hear no one wants wall paper or carpet so I don't want to turn off buyers.

Answers

15
The one constant in every market that every buyer is looking for is a property that is neat and clean and move in ready. I would absolutely recommend doing those small things to help your property sell for the highest price possible. Please feel free to contact me anytime if you are interest in a free home evaluation to see where your home stands in the current marketplace.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 27, 2013
Probably better to remove the wall paper before painting & if the carpet can not be cleaned then remove it also.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 28, 2013
Wallpaper - take it out. No question. The cost/benefit of this update is through the roof! The hardest thing is getting the wallpaper off without messing up the sheetrock so be careful!

Carpet - What shape is the carpet in? If it's in decent shape, leave it. If it needs replaced, replace it with something neutral. Installing wood floors is extremely expensive and there is a negative cost/benefit. For instance, you can spend $10k on floors and sell your house for less than $10k more than without the upgrade. HOWEVER, you may entice a buyer to purchase your home where they would have otherwise not been interested so there is SOME benefit.

Ask a local agent have them do a walk-in and get their thoughts,
Fajardo Delacruz
347 932-0609
Hi Jennifer

It's been my experience that most buyer prefer hardwood over carpeting but before you remove the carpeting make sure you have hard wood floors underneath and not plywood and if you do have hardwood floors check the condition of the hardwood . because your probably have to sand them you might want to get some estimates, also I would remove the wall paper but it has to be done correctly if not your better off leaving the wallpaper and consider pricing in any case I would 1st interview several agents and have a conversation about these issue's

Thanks Felix
917-692-7702
Remove the wallpaper. (Unless it's done properly and unless the wallpaper was applied properly, painted wallpaper can look pretty bad.)

If you've got hardwood under the carpet, take the carpet out. If it's a newer house with just a plywood underfloor, determine whether the carpets can be cleaned to nearly-new condition. If not, replace the carpets--medium-grade is fine; your best value is in getting the thickest, highest-quality padding possible.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Hi Jennifer - First of all congratulations! Making this decision is a big step. Making necessary improvements is always a wise decision, but let me stress NECESSARY. It is not always necessary, so it is something you should discuss with your NYS Licensed Salesperson/Broker. I personally do like wallpaper, however most people purchasing a home of course will want to decorate with their own style. You certainly don't want to hear any disparaging remarks about your taste in decor, so the short is yes remove it. Secondly, removing the carpets can be a little costly IF you are uncertain what the floors look like underneath. If you know what the floors look like and they are in good condition, I would remove the carpet, since hardwood does sell vs. carpet. However, if the flooring is not in good condition and your carpet is, I would make sure that they get a really good steam cleaning. As Noah stated you can always give a credit toward the floors depending on what you and your salesperson decide.

If you have any further questions, you can certainly reach out to me directly via email @ lindarealamhm@yahoo.com or on my cell @ 718 864-5797.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Linda G Patterson
NYS Licensed Salesperson
American Homes of Staten Island
145 Beach Street
Staten Island, NY 10304
718 981 3400 - office
718 864 5797 - cell
lindarealamhm@yahoo.com
Hi Jennifer,
Iwould suggest a small investment in sprucing up your home by removing wallpaper and giving the home a fresh coat of paint in a soft neutral color . Small change makes a huge difference in how a home shows. Carpets are ok as long as they are clean and free of odors. Of course , if the floors under carpet are hardwood and in good condition it doesn't take much t have them refinished. You can hire a local handyman for not a huge investment and it makes a huge difference. I could give you some other tips for the small things to do so as not to turn off buyers.
Oftenetimes cosmetics improvements are necessary; therefore yes, remove any old carpeting, remove all wallpaper; also remove/rearrange any bulky furniture, make sure the house is neat, sparkling clean and clutter free, don't for get the exterior for curb appeal....
Well, you're either going to get rid of the wallpaper & carpet, or save the money and take into consideration in the sale price. I would be happy to advise you here.
I agree with the answers all the people are saying here but one more thing to add is do not spend a lot of money. If you paint the property there is a good chance that it will be repainted. You never know what people’s tastes are.
I suggest giving a credit towards painting after you do all the clean up everyone suggests. I have seen many a wasted paint job or remodel
Wall paper is easily removed with 1 part pine sol liquid and 4 part water mix well and spray should come off easily! Carpets are not easily accepted in today's market by upgrading floors and painting walls in neutral tones will surely help you bring top dollar
I agree with what Annette said. The wall paper must GO! If you paint over it, buyers are going to know that you painted over it.

People don't mind carpet as long as it's in good shape and doesn't have stains or smells.

YES - wall paper is super outdated and carpet can be buyer dependent. Most people want hardwoods but there are some people who still like carpet like my husband!
Jennifer,
You have heard correctly. The wallpaper must go.
Stained and worn carpet must go.
Clutter must go.
Odors must go.
-
Let in the sunshine.
Create open spaces.
When your front door is opened, make the presentation say, "Welcome Home!"