Charles, Home Seller in Staten Island, NY

I want to move before I list. Is it better to leave furnishings in the house or better to leave the house empty?

Asked by Charles, Staten Island, NY Sat Sep 28, 2013

I would like to leave it almost empty except for what I don't expect to use in new home, but I'm concerned about my insurance coverage if it is vacant. If I leave bed & some other furniture no one can say I didn't still live there. On the other hand not sure if mostly vacant is better. Should I leave any rooms totally empty?

Bella Grossman’s answer
I would leave some furniture in every room ,especially lighting, try to stage the house and decorate it lightly with the furniture you have and just try to give it a fresh look with small and very inexpensive accessories.
Definitely leave some furnishings in the house. This will allow buyers to get a perception of the size of the rooms. However, the furniture must be placed in a way that accentuates the room. Proper staging will enhance the buyers experience.

I would be happy to help you stage your home and help you sell it. Contact me at 718 689-3850

Gary R. DeFilippo, CMFS, ASD
NYS Lic. Real Estate Sales Associate
Neuhaus Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
for purposes of staging a house, I would leave furnishings in every room, although not an excessive amount. Less is more.

In terms of your insurance company, report to them that you're maintaining both locations. Why I even set yourself up for issues should something happen?

Your Realtor should be able to assist you in staging the house for the best showing and the best sales return.
Hi Charles

I would leave the furnishing and tidy up the place and if theres any clutter I would remove that but a home with furnishing is always better

Thanks Felix
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 28, 2013
Hi Charles,
A furnished and properly staged home shows better and sells faster. As far as your insurance question I would definitely check with your insurance agent on the terms of your policy.
The home always looks better with furniture in t, here if there are a few decent pieces. Also if you don't want them the person buying the home might want them . Definitely check with your insurance about vacancy.
You should call your insurance agent and find out the real answer. Asking here is like guessing, you don't want to guess do you?