Louise, Home Seller in 07461

I want cancel the listing on my house, what do I do?

Asked by Louise, 07461 Mon Jul 13, 2009

Answers

9
Hi Louis, discuss your circumstances with your listing agent and his/her broker/manager. You've gotten good advice so far here - know that an unconditional release is required if you have any thoughts of listing within the timeframe of the contract you are hoping to terminate. Start with your agent. You'll need the support of the manager/broker so good idea to draw them into the conversation.

Jeannie Feenick
"Unwavering Commitment to Service"
Search the MLS at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
I am afraid that question has many answers, all of which depends on your listing contract. I, for one, would not feel comfortable speaking to another Realtors client about this subject, nor should any other ethical Realtor.

My recommendation would be to speak with your listing agent or their manager.

Good one Francesca. I wish I could give you a BA vote.

Louise,

If all else fails, and you just don't want to sell, simply raise your price by 50k or so and require 72 hours advance notice for a showing, and say "hasta la vista baby" to any potential buyers..
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 22, 2009
Louise,

There are two ways within which you can "cancel" the listing of your house . . .. a conditional and an unconditional withdrawal (at least these are the options here in Monmouth/Ocean County).

The conditional withdrawal is designed to protect the real estate company from sellers who may be negotiating direct with a buyer and wishing to avoid the commissions despite the marketing efforts (and monies spent) of the listing company that may have produced the buyers. Most often the original listing contract will hold a seller liable for 30 days to 6 months after the original listing date for commissions due (the depends on the specifics of the contract) should the property be shown to the buyer by either the listing agent or a buyers agent while active. Again, in place to protect those of us who invest oodles of time and energy in procuring a sale.

An unconditional withdrawal with most agencies is more difficult to acquire as this releases the realtors from future commission liability.

Love and Peace,
Francesca, Realtor, ePro
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (24/7)
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 22, 2009
Cancelling a listing contract could involve penalties. We recommend that you review your agreemtment relative to these terms.

If you have extenuating circumstances that put you in the position to nees to withdraw the listing, present them to the agent. They might allow you special consideration.

The Eckler Team
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 19, 2009
Speak to your agent and Broker, you have a listing agreement which is a contract. I am sure your chances of canceling will vary greatly depending on the actual terms you agreed to as well as your motivation and the relationship you have with your listing firm. I would hope your agency would be understanding say if you were ill or unable to make the move originally planned (lost job etc) If you merely wanted to cancel agreement to try to avoid paying commissions I expect they would be less accomodating.
Good Luck

Kenneth "Ken" Verbeyst CRS GRI ABR SRES GREEN
Broker-Associate
LIcensed PA&NJ
Prudential Fox&Roach Princeton
609 924-1600
Fine home and relocation specialist
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 13, 2009
Hi Louise,

As stated below, there are many answers to the question depending upon more information.
If you just no longer want to sell your home, call you agent and tell him/her.
If you want to cancel for other reasons and change agents.. that is where all the details of your contract come into play.

Talk to your agent or the Broker / Manager.

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Office: 732-863-6969

JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
I am sorry for the confusion, I did not mean to imply canceling a listing was unethical. However, each agreement is different, e.g limited service and the like, it would require knowing the terms of listing she has to answer he qustion definitively. The best person to give that answer would be the listing agent.
Louis: Canceling your contract has nothing to do with Realtor ethics. You always have the right not to sell your own home. You can withdraw your listing from the market by having your agent fill out a listing change form and it is effective immediately. If your asking for an unconditional release so that you may list with someone else well...that a whole different subject. Even if you cancel your current contract as stated above, you may not sell your home yourself without owing a commission to the listing agent until 90 days after the expiration date of the contract. This is to prevent unethical sellers from using an agent to market the home and then attracting a buyer and dropping the agent. To get an unconditional withdraw (so no commission is owed should you sell) you would need to speak with the office Broker but it is not likely one will be granted. Good luck to you.

Camille Miller
Broker/Owner
http://www.justjerseyrealestate.com
Follow me on twitter @itsjersey2me for answers to all Jersey real estate questions