Home Selling in Hopkinton>Question Details

Jeanne, Home Seller in Hopkinton, MA

I've changed my mind on selling my house. I have a contract until April 2010. Do I tell my real estate agent or just refuse any offers?

Asked by Jeanne, Hopkinton, MA Fri Mar 5, 2010

Answers

12
Tell your agent you've changed your mind about selling. No one can force you to sell your home if you have changed your mind, your home will just be placed in a withdrawn status. You will still be "under contract" to the agent so they are protected from your listing with another agent or trying to sell on your own through the term of your original contract. You do not want to waste anyones time or money in with the continuation of marketing your home if your intension is no longer to sell. It would not be fair to buyers or buyer agents either. Just withdraw and let your contract run its course until expiration.
Web Reference: http://www.RobinGilman.com
We just put our house up for sale and now my husband and I have realized that we no longer want to sell . Are we obligated to pay the real estate agent anything for his time & money spent on making flyers? We haven't accepted any offers and there hasn't been any yet.
my houses is under contrst andi change my mind abount selling my house
I always believe in treating people the way you would want to be treated. If it were me in your shoes, I would tell your agent, appologize and perhaps offer some sort of compensation. The best compensation you can give him/her is a referral. If the agent was doing what you expected him or her to do, then referr that agent to anyone you know buying or selling. This way her/his time is more than compensated. But don't continue to market a home you have no intention of selling. Why put your self and your agent through that?
Web Reference: http://www.janebecker.com
Talk to the agent - withdraw the home from the market. If your agent brings you a qualified buyer with a great offer, the agent may come to you for what would have been their commission at closing. The agent may request to be reimbursed for advertising the property.

Best bet - talk to the agent (if this does not go well) contact an attorney.

Hope all goes well for you. Many agents understand the sellers situations andd will do as you request.
Hi Jeanne,

As mentioned, you should be able to go to your agent and explain to them that you are no longer interested in selling your home. Sign a cancellation form and be on your way.

Tim
Another thing to keep in mind is your agents reaction to your news. Of course he or she is going to try to get you to continue your listing, but in the end did they respect your wishes and do what they could to help you? If they did, please remember that when the time comes that you once again want to sell your home. You may want to give them first crack at selling it next time.
Hi Jeanne - I'm a "Jeanne" too, spelled just the same, don't run in to many --- but on to business. Yes, talk to your agent, explain the situation and I think you should have no difficulty terminating your listing. There will likely be broker protection through the period of the listing in case you change your mind. But I recommend that you talk to the agent/broker and take it off the market with their support. No reason to put yourself and potential buyers through the angst of the process if you have no intention of selling.

Life changes - and when it does, we have to adjust. Good luck!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Find success at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Hi Jeanne:

It sounds like you are either concerned about your agent's reaction because of something that happened in the past or you just feel uncomfortable in situations where you don't know how another person will react. But, regardless, you really should have an honest conversation with the agent very soon. The agent probably is spending time and money trying to sell your house. This being the case, it would be very unfair leave the agent in the dark. If you find it hard to talk in person, just use the phone.

Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Boulder, CO
303.473.1926
YOUR AGENT IS ON YOUR TEAM. SHARE YOUR CONCERNS AND RESTRATEGIZE. AN AGENT HAS AGREED TO AN INTIMATE RELATIONSHIP WHERE YOU COME FIRST. IT IS DESCRIBED AS A FIDUCIARY. LET THE AGENT DEMONSTRATE THAT TO YOU BY SOLVING YOUR PROBLEMS AND PROTECTING YOUR INTERESTS. REMEMBER, YOU MAY GET A SHORT TERM RESULT WITH YOUR AGENT, BUT IT IS AN INVESTMENT FOR THE LONG TERM TOO!
Jeanne tell your agent yo changed your mind. If she or he will not release you ask her to withdraw the listing. It willnot be active in mls but it will expire on the original expiration date and you will get a bunch of calls and letters from other Realtors. If the agent is unreasonable call the office broker or manager.
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
I assume you mean you have a listing contract? By all means tell your agent. Obviously he/she will try to convince you to stay on the market, but if you do not want to sell, Why put everyone through that grief?

Why have a Buyer get all hopped up, make a Buyer Agent do all the work, and have your agent follow up on showings, review offers and try to negotiate on your behalf if you are going to turn down all offers? Just be honest and have your agent take it off the market until the contract expires,